8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 12:48 AM by tveenstra

Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI

hunter13 Apprentice

I need some help, we have been using LANDesk to image every computer that we have in our company. I just purchased a Surface 4 Pro and a Surface Book, we plan to purchase more of these devices so I started creating a Windows 10 image for these devices. I have the windows 10 image created and captured with sysprep. I'm able to book the Surface into Pxe boot with the Surface docking station, it starts the image process and goes through the process of laying the image down on the computer. After it does that it injects the script and when it reboots it just goes right back to the UEFI settings page. I can't get the Surface to boot to the internal storage at all. The first question is do I need to create a different unattended.xml file for tablets that use UEFI? I have  been using our Windows 10 unattended.xml that we use on our normal laptops that still have bios. If I do, does anyone have a good example that I can look at? If I don't, has anyone else been able to image a Surface 4 pro?

• 1. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
          martin.gannon Expert

Hi Hunter13,

Can you send a screenshot of the first part of your provisioning template that you use on this device i.e System migration -> post-OS, It might help me advise you as to what the issue might be . The unattend file should not have an effect unless you configure your disk and partitions using it.

• 2. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
            Camille Employee

Hi Hunter13,

According to me the problem isn’t located into the unattend file , it should work in bios legacy and UEFI mode.

First point : Is your image is a WIM image ?

Second point :

You have many things to change in your Template between a BIOS legacy system and an UEFI system

First of all you have to to convert your disk in GPT mode and create 3 kind of partitions. (see below an example of UEFI patition)

rem == CreatePartitions-UEFI.txt ==

rem == These commands are used with DiskPart to

rem for a UEFI/GPT-based PC.

rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive

select disk 0

convert gpt

rem == 1. System partition =========================

create partition efi size=100

rem ** NOTE: For Advanced Format 4Kn drives,

rem               change this value to size = 260 **

format quick fs=fat32 label="System"

assign letter="S"

rem == 2. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition =======

create partition msr size=128

rem == 3. Windows partition ========================

rem ==    a. Create the Windows partition ==========

create partition primary

rem ==    b. Create space for the recovery image ===

shrink minimum=15000

rem       ** NOTE: Update this size to match the size

rem                of the recovery image           **

rem ==    c. Prepare the Windows partition =========

format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"

assign letter="C"

list volume

After deploying your image you need to use the bcdboot.exe command that allowing your OS to be bootable. (See Below the action) In my example the S partition is the system location

2016-01-04 12_25_40-Liste de raccourcis pour VMware Workstation Pro.png

• 3. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
              hunter13 Apprentice

Thanks for getting back to me, so are you running a script to partition the drive in the Pre-OS installation? is this just a batch file that you are running? My image is a .tbi file, that is what we currently use for all our computers. Could you share a picture of your Pre-OS installation provisioning tasks? Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
                Camille Employee

Hi hunter13,

You can download below an example of an EFI template , tell me if that's good for you.

• 5. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
                  tveenstra Rookie

Hi Camille,

Do you still have the example template? I am running into the same problem as Hunter when trying to provision a Surface.We are using Surface 3 and Surface Pro 4.

• 6. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
                    Breid125 Apprentice

I'll echo Tjitze's request for the EFI template you posted, please and thank you Camille!

• 7. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
                      Camille Employee

Hi Tjitze and Breid ,

Here a new link of an EFI Template.

Dropbox - EFI W10.xtp

• 8. Re: Imaging Surface 4 Pro with UEFI
                        tveenstra Rookie

Hi Camille,

Thank you for the template. I kind of figured it out myself, but eventhough thanks!