4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2008 5:21 AM by ahe

Push Shortcut to users

Rookie

We have many applications than are on a fileserver and we need Landesk to push shortcuts to users so that they can just click on those shortcuts and start using these programs.

I have seen the http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3058 How to create a Software Package that places a shortcut on the Desktop, but is there not a easier way ? To make a entire package that publish a shortcut? Zenworks has had these feature for a long time now allready.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Regards,

Patrick

• 1. Re: Report entire Inventory of Single Device
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Agree with zman.  The request for 'everything' is generally made by someone that doesn't realise just how much is actually stored.  Imagine how long the printout would be if you printed every piece of software as well as every possible vulnerability and its status!

Either they should be far more specific or you give them exactly what they want so that they don't like it.

Have a word with your LANDesk support team and get a copy of unscanw from them.  This extracts all of the inventory data to a scan file that can be opened in notepad.  It isn't the prettiest format to read but probably just as readable as any other format you will get to without serious coding work.  Give them that and give them the opportunity to say, 'actually, thats too much, any chance we can get less?'.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 2. Re: Report entire Inventory of Single Device
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Impressive.  How on earth did the community manage to connect my reply to a completely unrealted question??

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Push Shortcut to users
              ahe Expert

Hello Mark,

you're to fast for the system 

Regards

Axel

• 4. Re: Push Shortcut to users
                ahe Expert

Hello Patrick,

see this thread: http://community.landesk.com/support/message/6997#6997

I thought I read a post in the morning about the new software portal. This shall include some functionalities like NAL.. (deployed whit the next SP ...).

(sorry I can't find the post)

Instead of NAL,  actually we use another method (workaround) to deploy links, we use a GPO/script to copy links and we copy a link to a network share with links to apps...

Regards

Axel