12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 5:04 PM by bwallace

WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040

Apprentice

We recently purchased some Dell OptiPlex 7040 desktops. When I PXE boot to image them, the do not include the right WinPE NIC drivers to access the network. I'm running LDMS ver 9.6 SP2 which I understand to be using WinPE 8.1 32-bit. Trouble is that on Dell's site I can't find ANY Win 8.1 drivers that aren't 64-bit. Anyone else using LDMS with their OptiPlex 7040's that can point me in the right direction. I believe the NIC we have is in the systems is the 'Intel Ethernet Connection I219-LM' NIC (at least that's how it's labeled in Windows 7 in device manager).

• 1. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
          jhance Employee

Have you tried loading the 64 bit driver? The 64-bit will be used if native UEFI is detected when the client requests the boot.wim from the PXE rep.

How to add drivers to WinPE for Ivanti EPM OS Provisioning

• 2. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
            Apprentice

The systems are going to have Win7 put down on them so we don't use the UEFI. If I boot PXE, I get the 32 bit WinPE image (I checked from within the WinPE environment to see what I was running). I guess it is possible that the 64-bit driver may be compatible with both 32 and 64, but I think that's pretty iffy.

• 4. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
              Apprentice

I did find that page. All the drivers are x64 so I hadn't tried them. I will try a 64-bit driver in the next couple days, see what happens and report back.

• 5. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                Rookie

@bwallace:

I had the same issue with a new OptiPlex 7040.  I was able to get the 32 bit WinPE provisioning environment to work using the drivers from dell at this URL: Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller Drivers Driver Details | Dell US

I extracted the contents of the EXE using 7-Zip and added the 3 drivers located in the \production\Windows8.1-x86 folder.

Hope this helps.

• 6. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                  Apprentice

djugan - that seems to have done it. Thanks a bunch! This is why I ask on the forums, there are people there who have forged that path already.

• 7. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                    Apprentice

I had the same problem, I have an HP 600 G2 desktop with the same NIC, I finally found a driver to get PXE to work but now i have an issue with HII and the 64bit driver injection, i have the driver manually assigned and when HII runs it sees that and shows in the log the location of the file on the server and where it should copy it to but it never does. Other drivers inject just fine. This doesnt happen with the 32bit driver. Do you have this problem at all? I have a ticket open with support but thought id see if anyone else has had this issue.

• 8. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                      Apprentice

Actually I am having problems with the provisioning now that you mention it. I added our driver set from Dell to the drivers in HII and then proceeded to dump our image onto the machine. The machine starts the process of post Sysprep setup and locks up as the answer file is being processed. It locks up and the keyboard and mouse stop working. I haven't been able to troubleshoot it and haven't had time to assign drivers for this model. I would be interested to hear anything you can tell me about your situation once you have any news to report.

• 9. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                        Apprentice

OK so this is what I had to do, I had to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard believe or not because unless you have the right USB drivers and HII inject them you wont have use of your USB ports. So i basically for my Win7 32bit image I laid the image on, used the PS2 mouse and keyboard, got into windows and installed my drivers, which i had to do via a CD i burned, because again the USB ports dont work yet. After getting all the drivers installed I installed my LANDesk agent and inventoried the device so i could see the right HW in HII to assign. Then I copied my drivers to my driver library, updated the HII DB and manually assigned my NIC, VIDEO, and USB drivers. After that when i ran my image template with an HII action, it injected the drivers I assigned, keep in mind the USB 3.0 hub driver wont install till you re-run HII after getting in to Windows but the "USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" driver will which will allow a USB keyboard and mouse to work. Hope this helps. For my 64bit image i did the same but for some reason the NIC driver is not injecting into the image.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                          adamj777 Apprentice

As @amagi suggested, we also used the Dell WinPE Driver CAB and that worked just fine for us. This CAB actually has BOTH 32bit and 64bit drivers inside. We extracted the cab to a temp dir and injected the x86 drivers into the LANDESK boot.wim directly. This solved our 7040 NIC driver problem. Now, however, the Latitude E6430 will blue screen trying to boot to the boot.wim. The blue screen references iastore.sys, which is the Intel Rapid Storage driver. I have tested several Dell models successfully. The E6430 is the only one that chokes on Dell's WinPE drivers so far.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 11. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                            Rookie

We have been able to get the WinPE working on the Optiplex 7040 for Windows 7 x64 with a standard USB Keyboard/Mouse. We are running AIK 6.1.7600.16385. We use WinPE to rip wim's from systems we build up with OEM Dell Windows 7 x32 or x64, our custom apps, then sysprep the box. Once it's syspreped we boot off WinPE USB and then capture the image with imagex. Once we capture the image we then load it onto our WDS server to image multiple machines. Here is a list of links for our setup on making our WinPE disk

1. Create Bootable Windows PE Media (AIK) (POSReady 7)

2. Add Device Drivers on an Offline Windows PE Image

3. ISO to USB

4. Capture the Installation on a Network Share (AIK) (POSReady 7)

Here is the break down of commands and files from an elevated Deployment Tools Command Prompt to create the Optiplex 7040 x64 bit WinPE.

#Create 64bit PE

copype amd64 C:\WinPE_amd64

#Copy Wim

copy "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\amd64\Winpe.wim" C:\WinPE_amd64\ISO\Sources\Boot.wim

#Copy Image X

copy "C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\amd64\imagex.exe" C:\WinPE_amd64\ISO\

#Mount 64bit

Dism /Mount-Wim /wimfile:"C:\WinPE_amd64\ISO\sources\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"C:\WinPE_amd64\mount"

#Download Drivers, extract and copy to C:\WinPE_amd64\drivers\network, usb

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03170085M/45/Network_DIAG_Intel_A00_WIN_X64_61N3H-SETUP_ZPE.exe - Network

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03359800M/1/Chipset_Driver_C8X05_WN32_4.0.2.42_A01.EXE - USB

#Install NIC

Dism /Image:C:\WinPE_amd64\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\WinPE_amd64\drivers\network /Recurse

#Install USB

Dism /Image:C:\WinPE_amd64\mount /Add-Driver /Driver:C:\WinPE_amd64\drivers\usb /Recurse

#Unmount-Image

Dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:"C:\WinPE_amd64\mount" /commit

#Make CD

oscdimg -n -bC:\WinPE_amd64\etfsboot.com C:\WinPE_amd64\ISO C:\WinPE_amd64\WinPE_amd64.iso

Once the ISO is made we use the ISO to USB app and then rip the image (make sure your USB drive is no more than 8GB). I can confirm this worked as we created our gold image as of today 2/5/2016. Good luck guys!

• 12. Re: WinPE Drivers for Optiplex 7040
                              Apprentice

Ok, so the lock up issue where the answer file was "corrupted" ended up being an issue where the system when past the injection too fast and didn't get it all injected (see Unattend getting truncated after generalize pass). It seemed locked up because it's not loading the USB 3 stuff and no USB 3 stuff meant no keyboard/mouse. I followed the directions and have the answer file problem solved and am trying to work around the issue with USB 3 somehow, nothing seems to be working like it should.