2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2016 4:31 AM by RBC

Does LDMS take into account old device entries in Landesk DB for licensing purposes?

RBC Apprentice

Hello everyone.

I am making some tests to check how LDMS manages duplicate entries in order to adapt it to our requirements through the "manage duplicates" options in the "inventory" tab.

A question related to licensing came up to my mind when doing this: how Landesk counts the nodes to check license limit? Does it take into account all the entries in the "Computer" table in the LDMS DB or there is another procedure?

That question links to the way we identify new devices in our organization. We reuse the hostname for new devices, but with the "manage duplicates devices" default settings...Captura.PNG

...every new device (which has a different MAC address) would get its own entry in the db (keeping the old ones that used that device name before).

Taking this into account, would Landesk count the old and the new ones as different, assigning one license to each of them?

If that were the case, in order to free licenses from the old devices, would it be advisable to uncheck "Both device names and MAC addresses match" and check only "Device names match" option ? That would force the new devices to use the old Device ID and overwrite the old inventory with the new one, freeing up one license, isn't it?

Regards.

• 1. Re: Does LDMS take into account old device entries in Landesk DB for licensing purposes?
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Don't do this. You will probably create issues and lose machines that should stay in the database.

Removing old machines is an option in Configure - Services - Inventory - Days to Keep Scans

By default this is zero so won't delete old records. If you set it to 45 then if there has not been an inventory update then it will be purged. In Advanced there is an option to log the names of computers that are purged to a text file. No other information though.

All old devices count toward licensing so you do need to delete them. Auto-deleting 'might' be OK for you but it does mean there are no checks and balances for you to discover machines that 'should' be reporting but aren't.

Data Analytics would allow you to Archive machines so you still have the full information while reclaiming the licenses. If you have it, consider that as an alternative.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

The One-Stop Shop for LANDESK Enhancements

• 2. Re: Does LDMS take into account old device entries in Landesk DB for licensing purposes?
            RBC Apprentice

Mark, thanks for the information it has been very helpful.

I have more clear now how licensing works when counting nodes. As for the archiving process I am going to have a look to it. It can be very useful for us.

I will take into account your recomendations about keeping inventory scans for a period of days and the pros and cons of it.

Regards.