8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 8:40 AM by Henrik.Heves

Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import

Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Hi Guys!

I wanted to download MS licensing information in Data Analytics via Microsoft B2B connector, but it doesn't work.

I have added the login information and started with "Run now" but nothing happened, just hanging, please see the attached screen.

What could be the problem?

Is there any solution for this problem?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
          Peter Massa Expert

Hey h.heves,

I do not use the MS B2B - as I use the CDW one instead.  But can you try to run it again and then do an ALT+TAB to the DA Web Control page while it is running?

It will be a live stream of the tool trying to pull the data.  You may be able to see where it is miss clicking or getting stuck at.

Post back with whatever you find,

Peter

• 2. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
            dsears Apprentice

The issue we saw when running the Microsoft rule was that the user account that is being used needs to be logged into on the system that you are running the rule on, and tell it to remember that computer. The login was asking for the multi-factor authentication information. If you tell it to remember that computer and not ask again the rule should get through that page at least.

Where are you getting stuck?

• 3. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
              Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Hi Peter!

Thank you for your answer!

DA Web Control page? What do you mean?

If you mean the attached screen (pls see), its already finished without any error message.

mslicenceinfo.jpg

Where can i check the result?

Thank you!

• 4. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
                Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Hi!

Thank you, good idea, but we did the mentioned action to remember the computer.

The action finally finished, but where should i check the result?

The manual not enough clear for me.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
                  psythian Apprentice

In the Management Suite Folder you will find MP_LOG and MP_TEMP. These are the folders that the Data Analytics (also known as Managed Planet or MP) puts it's logs. This is the first place to look.

When running that B2B connector it is, (in the background), opening a webpage to Microsoft. You can view the webpage to see what is happening by using Alt-Tab, or in Task Manager Applications tab you will see "Managed Planet Web Pull" right click it and "bring to front" to see what is hanging it up. In some cases you need to do a captcha or something that it is hung up on.

• 6. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
                    Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Hi Psythian!

Thank you for your answer, the problem was with multi-factor authentication and your advice solved the issue!

One more question....

Now i see the VLSC licences on "Software Licence Monitoring" web page, under the "Products/Licenses" menu, but nothing changed with "Monitored/Installed/Unlicensed" products. I mean the downloaded VLSC licenses info doesnt decrease the unlicensed products.

Hope i was clear...

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
                      psythian Apprentice

Few places to look at...

In LDMS Console to tag what is Licensed Software for your business:

In LDDA Data Translation Services right click on "Licensed Software" from there you can Show, Add and remove software detection's. It gets pretty deep, but there are a lot of examples in there to look thru. I only remember looking at examples and getting support to assist me with creating new rules. The Licensed Software section provides the link between the Downloaded information from MS to the software that LDDA has discovered. Wish I could go deeper, but it is best explored, you can view the pre-built rules and make copies of them all you want.

In SLM:

When you go into the Monitored Software you should see (at lease in my case) 2 versions of the discovered software, one that might have been discovered prior to having Data Analytic's installed and one after installation. I tell the difference by the LDDA circular blue arrow in front of the software name (and the type says Data Analytics).

Once the rules are working correctly you can right click on the license in SLM select Edit and under Associated products you can see what the license is linked to, if it is not linked correctly you will have to look at the LDDA Licensed Software above, or manually link it.

Also be sure your getting updates of your LDDA system like you get patches, it's the only way to stay current, I do mine weekly.

LDDA Content updates

Hope that helps, sorry if I jumped around a bit, but there is a lot of moving parts between LDDA, SLM, and Software discovery, (thru your agent), that come into play, so giving a straight answer is hard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Microsoft B2B connector - Microsoft Volume License Import
                        Henrik.Heves Apprentice

Thank you very much, it was lot of help! I followed your instructions and run some of the "Licensed Softwares Rule" so, i see now the "Assosiated products" under Monitored products on SLM webpage!

Last question, how automate licenc calculation works? I mean, the Data Analytics is able to calculating (as i know) the installed licenc number based on the downloadad VLSC information.

What should i do to make it work?

Thank you very much!