5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 9:05 AM by Dave Johnston

LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.

island_road Rookie

I have pushed out a package that installs three applications together within one script. The third calls for a reboot so I made an agent reboot settings set to “Act as if Reboot Always Needed” after the packet is installed. I pushed this package out for about 15 users and most of all completed but there were a few fails. One of them was my computer but the application actually did install just fine. I still received the reboot popup though and did my restart but now about every other day I receive the same pop up waiting me to restart.

I viewed the logs and I see the Reboot task wanting to kick off every other day.

I read in some other threads you should try "Detect whether a reboot is needed".

Anybody else have this happen?

• 1. Re: LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.
          Dave Johnston Apprentice

How did you use the agent reboot settings you mention (act as if reboot is always needed)?  Did you set the scheduled task to use those settings only, or did you actually deploy that behavior to the agent itself on all computers?

• 2. Re: LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.
            island_road Rookie

I am using LANDesk 9.6 - I go under "Agent Settings" and configure "Reboot Settings". I have a few different ones for my company.

Once I have the settings that I want to use, when I schedule a task under "Agent Settings" I choose the Reboot Settings that I want, hence I used the one listed below.

reboot settings.JPG

• 3. Re: LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.
              Dave Johnston Apprentice

Thanks for the clarification, sounds like you've got it setup correctly.  In your first post, you mentioned that it showed your machine (and a few others) as failed in the scheduled task status, but it actually succeeded - is that correct?  If so, I wonder if it keeps trying to install the application(s) because of the fail status - I'm assuming you set the task to a policy push, which may not be the case though - and maybe that's why you're getting the repeated reboot prompts.  If you haven't already, maybe try removing your PC from the scheduled task and see if that makes a difference?

• 4. Re: LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.
                island_road Rookie

Dave,

I do have my scheduled task on policy-supported push, maybe I should just switch that to a push? I deleted the scheduled task the other day and this morning I received a prompt for the reboot.

I have a script that will delete the clients landesk database, recreate it, validate it and clean up old xml files. Any xml files that are still required will repopulate as needed this is also good at fixing portal and other policy issues. sometimes before a large push I do run this on users machines, going to give that a try on my computer and monitor the results to see if a re-prompt still happens after the fact.

• 5. Re: LANDesk Reboot agent keeps wanting to reboot after install.
                  Dave Johnston Apprentice

I think you've got a good plan.  Changing from a policy-supported push to just a push makes sense, and the cleanup script sounds like your best bet for remedying the computers that are currently "stuck" trying to repeatedly reboot.  If that does not work, I have had success in the past with re-installing the agent to get rid of tasks that seem to be stuck in a loop locally on the machine.  It's not pretty, but it works.