3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 4:05 AM by phoffmann

scheduling software install

tlee Rookie

Is it possible to push software via landesk and have it start at login

• 1. Re: scheduling software install
          Employee

Yes.  In your delivery methods their is a policy supported push delivery method called "Install at next login".  That will work for you.  Or you can configure you agent to run policy updates from the core at login.  You would need to make the job a required policy to run at logon.

• 2. Re: scheduling software install
            Rookie

i was under the impression that this would work if a user logged in to a machine after they power it on, but it doesnt. that would happen if the agent is set to an event driven update for 'when user logs on' so that policy.sync.exe can kick off.

is there a way to do this without doing an agent update?

• 3. Re: scheduling software install
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Agent007 wrote:

i was under the impression that this would work if a user logged in to a machine after they power it on, but it doesnt. that would happen if the agent is set to an event driven update for 'when user logs on' so that policy.sync.exe can kick off.

is there a way to do this without doing an agent update?

Yes - that's what was mentioned above with "Run at next login" -- depending on the version of LANDesk, this usually takes one of these forms.

(Old - 8.7 (I think) and earlier) -- we add the relevant command-line to start the install to the RUNONCE registry key, so it executes at the next install.

New (8.8 and maybe 8.7) -- we no longer care about registry, rather we add a task to our own local scheduler to do this at login.

The policy stuff that was mentioned MAY require a client-update (doesn't HAVE to), it depends on how you've configured your stuff (i.e. - if you don't check for policies, you will need to update your clients to do so).

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead