7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 6:18 AM by twacy1961

Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner

Rookie

Scanning a quantity bardcode for "Q00012" and  get a loud beep and scanner displays  738197538.   Using code 39 symbology.  Scanned the barcode using honeywell scanwedge software and its reads as "Q00012".   No other quantities have given us any issues.  We just recently upgraded to these scanners after using Dolphin 7400's for about 10 years.  Logged in with old scanner and it reads barcode just fine, but uses a different terminal emulation software.   Issue has to be with Wavelink, any idea's would be greatly appreciated.  Using Wavelink VT terminal emulation.

• 1. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
          Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

A quantity starting with the alpha character "Q" seems kind of peculiar. I'm assuming thats in place as a sort of indicator for the Host Application so that it only accepts Quantity scans that are in that format and not errant Item, or location barcode scans. If the Q is supposed to be prepended on the quantity value, maybe the particular Host Application field that you're scanning into isn't configured to properly handle that. Its possible that the 738197538 is actually some random value returned from the Host Application.

Instead of the Honeywell Scanwedge, what happens when you scan the barcode into the scan diagnostics tool within Wavelink? I believe Alt-D should bring up the diagnostics menu while in TelnetCE, although the specific key combination might be different for Honeywell devices.

• 2. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
            Rookie

I scanned barcode using the Wavelink Scan diagnostics tool and go the following results

CODE  32

Length 9

If I scan a barcode from the same system with Q00030 on it,   I get the following results

CODE  39

Length 6

Q00030

• 3. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
              Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

Given that the same result is being returned within the Scan Diagnostic tool we can conclude that it is not your Host Application that is returning bad data.

It is certainly odd that its being interpreted as a Code 32 barcode. Either your barcode generation software was configured with the wrong symbology, or the barcode is damaged in some way which is causing the scanner to falsely interpret it as a Code 39. Code 32 is very similar to Code 39 in that they use the same character set, there are just more character limitations with Code 32. Both symbologies are designed to directly encode the information into the barcode and there is no built in check digit or error detection system like there is with Code 128. Due to the lack of error detection, its common for a damaged barcode to be incorrectly interpreted.

Try printing out a new Code 39 version of the same barcode to see if you get different results:

code39.png

• 4. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
                Rookie

Unfortunately, its not easy to print another label out in our system with quantity 12.   I have tried multiple labels with all different quantities and they scan fine.   I tried scanning the barcode you provided and it scanned as Code 32, Length 9, 738197538.   Seems to indicate to me there must be an issue with the Wavelink software, but I'm no expert.

• 5. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
                  Matt Dermody SSMMVPGroup

I agree that this is starting to look more like a bug in Wavelink TelnetCE. It doesn't look like TelnetCE for the 99EX has been updated in several years so its likely due for a refresh. I recommend opening a support case with Wavelink to try and get it escalated to engineering.

Alternatively, if the built in Honeywell scannerwedge can decode the barcode correctly, you can disabled TelnetCE as the wedge application, and use the built in one instead.

• 6. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
                    ebizuwork Rookie

I have run into this issue before. I reported this as a bug to Wavelink several months ago. For some reason 6 character Code39 barcodes were getting misinterpreted as Code32 symbologies and with incorrect data.

The fix I came up with was to disable Code32 symbology in the emulation parameters for TelnetCE. This fix assumes you do not need to decode the Code32 symbology and should help alleviate the issue.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Error scanning a barcode for "Q00012" on Honeywell 99EX barcode scanner
                      Rookie

Thanks, that work around works perfectly.  Reported issue to wavelink as well.

Thanks to all for your help