5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2016 12:54 PM by JoeDrwiega

About delivery task type and delivery process !!

HermiM Apprentice

Dear all,

I am trying to understand the delivery task type in LDMS 9.6 but it seems that I can't understand the meaning of many key words.

for example for policy method here what we have in  the official Landesk documentation

" The core server makes the packages available for download. When a managed device checks for available policies, the package will be returned. Depending on the policy type, devices may install the package automatically or make the package available to users for them to install when they want "

what policy means here !!!

what I understand right now that with push task the policyTaskHandler.exe will initiale the discovery process to deliver the task to the target devices. (I don't know what will be done in the client side).

Could any one help me to understand :

- what is the difference between push, policy and policy-supported push?

- why it is called policy type? and what a policy here mean?

- what does this sentence mean "when a managed device checks for available policies, the package will be returned" !!!!!!!!

- what is the agent compent that is in charge to handle software distribution (client side) ? and how the client proceed ?

Trust me I have tried to understand by my self but since I am a newbie with LanDesk it is hard for me to catch some terms and concepts.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: About delivery task type and delivery process !!
          JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

Hope this helps explain it better:

Policy-supported push: The combined push distribution and policy model. First, software distribution attempts to install the package on all devices in the target list. This way, you can do an initial deployment using Targeted Multicast. Second, any devices that didn't get the package or that later become part of the target list (in the case of a dynamic target list) receive the package when the policy-based management agent on the device requests it. Generally, this is the recommended delivery method.

Policy: The core server makes the packages available for download. When a managed device checks for available policies, the package will be returned. Depending on the policy type, devices may install the package automatically or make the package available to users for them to install when they want.

Push: The packages may be multicast out to the managed devices. The core server then initiates package installation at the managed devices.

https://help.landesk.com/docs/help/en_US/LDMS/9.6/Default.htm#Windows/swd_c_delivery_methods.htm%3FTocPath%3DDistributio…

• 2. Re: About delivery task type and delivery process !!
            HermiM Apprentice

JoeDrwiega thank you so much for your feedback.

It seems that these are the same definition gived by the official landesk docs. (which I have read but It was not easy for me to understand the meaning.).

Any way I have made more effort to understand these delivery type and this is what I have understood:

LanDesk software distribution technology is based on 4 delivery types: Multicast, PUSH, POLICY and PUSH-Supported policy:

- MULTICAST: the core server initiates the package's download on target computers without starting installation.

- PUSH: the core server initiates the package's download on target devices and start package installation (when download and the installation initialization start depends of schedule task options). you can configure the download to start once the task is created (but not running yet) so package files will be pre-cached and the installation will be initiated depending on schedule task options).

- POLICY: the core server just put the status of the distribution package to "available for download" or "available for pull". it is the role of the software distribution agent and policy-based management agent to pull the policy and start installation (I don't know how the 2 Landesk agent's component does that !!!!! ). what I have understood is : a policy is special scheduled task (delivery task) that has a delivery method in which it is possible to configure how software distribution agent will act once the package is received by setting the options "type of policy" and "frequency of policy".

- POLICY-SUPPORTED PUSH: it is a mixed delivery type.

For each delivery type there are one or more delivery method which concerns how the bandwith is used and other parameters.

Now I have to focus how does the agent process to download the package and to launch the installation.

I hope that I am right. I will be waiting for a feedback from your side.

• 3. Re: About delivery task type and delivery process !!
              HermiM Apprentice

It seems that these are the same definition gived by the official landesk docs. (which I have read but It was not easy for me to understand the meaning.).

Any way I have made more effort to understand these delivery type and this is what I have understood:

LanDesk software distribution technology is based on 4 delivery types: Multicast, PUSH, POLICY and PUSH-Supported policy:

- MULTICAST: the core server initiates the package's download on target computers without starting installation.

- PUSH: the core server initiates the package's download on target devices and start package installation (when download and the installation initialization start depends of schedule task options). you can configure the download to start once the task is created (but not running yet) so package files will be pre-cached and the installation will be initiated depending on schedule task options).

- POLICY: the core server just put the status of the distribution package to "available for download" or "available for pull". it is the role of the software distribution agent and policy-based management agent to pull the policy and start installation (I don't know how the 2 Landesk agent's component does that !!!!! ). what I have understood is : a policy is special scheduled task (delivery task) that has a delivery method in which it is possible to configure how software distribution agent will act once the package is received by setting the options "type of policy" and "frequency of policy".

- POLICY-SUPPORTED PUSH: it is a mixed delivery type.

For each delivery type there are one or more delivery method which concerns how the bandwith is used and other parameters.

Now I have to focus how does the agent process to download the package and to launch the installation.

I hope that I am right. if there are some mistake any one can let me know. I will appreciate

• 4. Re: About delivery task type and delivery process !!
                Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

LANDESK 9.6 doesn't use the delivery methods anymore (only for legacy 9.5 agents). The settings in the delivery methods can be found in the Task settings and the Agent settings Distribution and Patch and Reboot.

WHen you create a task, you set the Task Settings and decide whether to use the default agent settings (the ones deployed with the agent) or you want to overrule those by selecting settings that are different.

FRank

• 5. Re: About delivery task type and delivery process !!
                  JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

Think of it like this:

Policy - is just a task setup and awaiting policy on a device to check in (usually at a scheduled time or frequency)

Policy supported Push - is a task setup but directly pushed to those devices online that can connect to the core and those that are not online are just waiting for policy to check in

Push -   is a task setup but directly pushed to those devices online that can connect to the core

Multicast - can be built-in to any of these if you choose to do so.

While Frank is right with the agent settings that you set up and can be overruled: What's New in LDMS 9.6 Software Distribution