4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2016 2:52 AM by phoffmann

Distribute and ignore write filter state on thin client

cri Apprentice

Hello,

Is there a way to distribute a package and ignore the write filter state on thin client?

I need to distribute some script that can be deployed even with the write filter on but sdclient prevent any distribution if the write filter is on, can I bypass that ?

(Using LDMS 9.5 SP2)

Thanks

• 1. Re: Distribute and ignore write filter state on thin client
          JanetWei SupportEmployee

Write filter has to be disabled before deploying package onto thin client.

For HP thin client, there are builtin scripts to disable and enable write filter.

Dell WYSE is a little bit different with HP thin client, you could disable the write filter via one of the methods below:

1. run command below with CMD, device will automatically reboot after the command finish

c:\windows\system32\FBWF_On_Off.exe /OFF         (/ON to enable write filter)

FBWF_On_Off.exe is a wrapper exe file, it can only be run under the system32 path.

2. run command below with CMD, it requires a manually reboot after the command finish

c:\windows\system32\FBWFmgr.exe /disable         (/enable to enable write filter)

FBWFmgr.exe is a microsoft provided exe to manage write filter for all kinds of thin client. It can be run under any path.

• 2. Re: Distribute and ignore write filter state on thin client
            cri Apprentice

Thank you Janet for your answer but it is not exactly what I need, I don't want to disable the write filter, I have set some exceptions so I don't need to disable the write filter (and no reboot).

I found an alternative with managed script because it doesnt check if write filter is on or not but I still wish that I could bypass this check, LANDESK support told me that is not possible unfortunately.

• 3. Re: Distribute and ignore write filter state on thin client
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

That's not how thin clients work, really.

The write filter isn't something that can be "ignored" / overridden as such (that'd be essentially moving into the area of malicious hacking & exploitation). The very point of the write filter is that you "can't do that stuff" - which is why Thin Clients are always that extra level of "fun" to deal with.

Managed scripts don't so much check whether the write filter is on (the OS does that - not us), but essentially never puts a file down on the client in the first place. What happens is that the Core reads the script, and sends the client directly the commands to "Run line 1" ... and then "Run line 2" as individual commands (each sent by the Core).

That's why the Manage Scripts route "circumvents" this - because there's no file to be put down. You could do a similar thing (theoretically) in Software Dist via "Run From Source" except that you'd still need to download the task / policy XML's which would fail with the write filter enabled.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

• 4. Re: Distribute and ignore write filter state on thin client
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

As a separate point:

Please be aware that LANDesk Management Suite has been EOL'ed (End Of Lifed) completely as of December 2015 and isn't getting any more patches or security updates. Furthermore, SP2 isn't the latest service pack for 9.5 - there's SP3 and a few post SP3 patches.

I'd strongly suggest looking to move to either LANDesk Management Suite 9.6 or 2016 as they're actively supported & maintained.