2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 12:36 AM by Aaron-FS

Timeout when downloading patches

Aaron-FS Rookie

Hi all,

Quite new to LANDESK and we are in the process of setting up the Patching & Security suite of it.

I have a question regarding the download of patches, usually from Microsoft - and via a company Proxy.

Quite a few of our patches fail with the below errors:    

Connection to http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/C/2/3C2E1343-99F0-4C45-A51F-CBE71D1DC1FD/msoloc2010-kb2553310-fullfile-x64-glb.exe failed. The operation has timed out

Connection to http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/3/9/3396A3CA-BFE8-4C9B-83D3-CADAE72C17BE/NDP40-KB2600211-x86-x64.exe failed. The operation has timed out

Pasting the URL into IE usually works although it does take a while for the download popup prompt to appear, so I was wondering;

Is there a setting somewhere which we can edit which allows LANDESK to wait longer downloading the patches before timing out? as I am quite happy for it to wait up to 15minutes for a patch response before moving onto the next.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Timeout when downloading patches
          nick.evans SupportEmployee

Hi Aaron,

There's not a way I'm seeing to extend a timeout for how long LDMS waits before timing out on this area. If the patches are taking a while to initiate a connection and download when done through a browser, that's likely what LDMS is running into. A work around if it's only a small # of patches is to manually download them via a browser and put them in the patch repository, at which point LDMS will have access to them for patch repair jobs.

• 2. Re: Timeout when downloading patches
            Aaron-FS Rookie

Hi, thank you for your input.

I have been meaning to update this thread as issue is resolved.

We needed full access via our Proxy as opposed to whitelist as we go access which was previously setup.  I don't manage the proxy so don't know how it is configured.

But in a nutshell it was an issue with our own Proxy and now I am able to download most patches.

What is still an issue is the "skipping manual" patch download, and I seem to have problems when deploying batches of patches to multiple machines at once and half get stuck - but this is another issue and I am looking for some Patching Best practises to try and get a better understanding of what's best suited to our environment.