4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 3:48 AM by swer

Howto boot a custom item from PXE menu during Provisioning

Rookie

I like to use LDMS to install Linux.

In the moment I install Linux from a tar file manually.

The process is very simple:

1. Boot some Linux live CD

2. format HD

3. Mount network share with my tar file contain the image of the Linux installation.

4. Extract the tar file.

5. modify some files (like fstab hostname hosts etc ...)

6. install boot loader

7. reboot

I already added the Linux live CD to the PXE boot menu. And scripting step 2 to 7 is easy but I do not know how to tell LDMS to boot the custom entry.  

• 1. Re: Howto boot a custom item from PXE menu during Provisioning
          Dave Johnston Apprentice

This article might be of help.  If you scroll down to EMiranda's reply, I think that is similar to what you are trying to accomplish.

Re: LanDesk PXE syslinux pxelinux interation

• 2. Re: Howto boot a custom item from PXE menu during Provisioning
            Rookie

I used that article to add my Linux live CD to the PXE menu.

what I need to know is a way to force a PC to boot that item.

For example we use LANDesk Provisioning to install our Windows clients. So when I deploy such a template to a PC it automatically boots the WinPE Provisioning item from the PXE menu.

But I like to tell a PC to boot the item I added to the menu.

• 3. Re: Howto boot a custom item from PXE menu during Provisioning
              Dave Johnston Apprentice

Ok, now I see what you are trying to do.  Outside of actually selecting the boot menu option while being physically present at the machine, the only way I'm aware of is to have it default to the first selection - but if you already use that for your Windows templates, I'm not sure how you would dynamically change it when you want to deploy Linux.  That is a tricky one!

• 4. Re: Howto boot a custom item from PXE menu during Provisioning
                Rookie

Yes that's what I try to do.

The LANDesk help has only very basic information about the PXE representative and how it works.

For example it says that the device detects if there is a Provisioning job pending if its boot to the PXE menu. But this can't by correct because at that point there is no software running on the client to connect to the LDMS database and check for such a task. I believe this can only be done by the PXE representative. So I was wondering If there is a way to hack that system to force the computer to boot what I like to boot.

The main problem I have is that I do not have the necessary tool in the WinPE Image to install Linux the way I like to install it. In older versions of LANDesk there was a LinuxPE available but this isn't included in recent LANDesk versions.

It seams that the only method available in LANDesk to install Linux is using a image tool but this doesn't give me the flexibility I need.