9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2008 1:48 AM by jpattison

Installing a rollup server and its database

Apprentice

Hi,

Im looking at installing a rollup server to join our core servers, I need to know whether the database of the rollup server will be the size of all the databases on the core servers or whether the database on the rollup server is just a link to the others?

Cheers

• 1. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
          zman Master

It will be at least the size of the other databases. You do have the flexibility of what data you want to rollup, so it may be smaller if you select to not rollup certain items. It is not just links it imports data from all other DBs into the rollup DB.

• 2. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

It will definitely be smaller as it does not roll everything up as part of its work and as zman says you can choose other items you don't wat to rollup.  For safety, assume the it to be the same size as the other servers but add growth potential if you expect those servers to grow in size.  Whatever happens you will be unlikley to run out of disk space anyway.

It doesn't take much to setup a rollup core server as a test and connect a couple of cores to it.  It will give you the experience you need prior to going into production.  I also recommend this because often the expectation of what the rollup can do is higher than its actual capabilities.  For example, you can't do license compliance from it.  Think of it as central reporting tools with the ability to do normal software distributions.  If you want to do SLM or full patching it really isn't for that.

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
              zman Master

Also, if you are not a big fan of the Webconsole you can also just point your 32 bit Console to the rollup   

• 4. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Naughty, naughty.  That is soooo not supported. ;)

Good thing to do though.

Mark Star  - http://www.marxtar.com

• 5. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                  Apprentice

Really, is that not supported? I am going to be installing a rollup core at a customer's site soon. I was dealing with LANDesk support recently about an issue I had with my rollup core and I had a 32 bit console pointed at it. Support did not say anything about that not being supported.

Mark, can you please tell me where I can find the information to say this is not supported and why so I can tell the customer when I install it.

Thanks.

Cam

• 6. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sorry, to clarify.

Not supported means that it isn't tested and if something doesn't work it will probably not be addressed.  The fact is that it does work for a number of functions but you have to live with the functionality you get.  Do not expect the same as you get with a console against a cores server because it simply doesn't work that way.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

• 7. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

Also there's certain things that the 32-bit Console flat out just can't cope with (well - "can't" with any kind of contemporary hardware + so on).

You try running a report on - say - 100,000 nodes through .NET ... the 32-bit Console on the rollup is a generally accepted thing, and it will do well to remember that it's there only to make certain actions easier.

Please do NOT try to kill it - as I hinted, running a report (pretty much any report) on 100k nodes (which is not unheard of for some rollups) is not the best of things to do.

But as long as you do "normal" things, then it's pretty much fine :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 8. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                        Apprentice

Thanks Mark and Paul

I now have the information I need to talk intelligently (at least about this ) to the customer.

Jeff, sorry about hijacking this thread but I hope this information was useful to you as well.

Cam

• 9. Re: Installing a rollup server and its database
                          Apprentice

Thanks guys, you anwsered my question for me & more.  Im building the rollup today, so fingers it all goes well!

Thanks again.