4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2016 12:36 AM by HermiM

how does software distribution work ?

HermiM Apprentice

I just start using LanDesk at work and I would like to understand the process. I have made some effort but I still have some problems with some concept.

1 - difference between standard task and policy. I think that a policy is a special task that provides the possibility to define a delivery method and must be setted either to "policy" or "policy supported push ". If you have more details about the difference it will be great

2 - the "policytaskhandler.exe" will detect a new task, it will send an UDP discovery parquet to be sure that the software will be delivery to the right device. then it will create an xml file that contains the task description. So how will notify the target device that there is a new software to detect and  does it log this information ?

3 - the sdclient will start by downloading the task xml file (using http protocol). When the download of distribution package will start??

4 - where can I find log files  (in the server side and client side)

5 - the tcp port 9594 is used for what?

I will appreciate if you can help me to understand the main steps. I have been reading a lot of documentation and I have used wireshark but I still need help

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long comment :-)

Hermi

• 1. Re: how does software distribution work ?
          Dave Johnston Apprentice

Hi Hermi, below is my best attempt to answer your questions:

1 - difference between standard task and policy. I think that a policy is a special task that provides the possibility to define a delivery method and must be setted either to "policy" or "policy supported push ". If you have more details about the difference it will be great

A scheduled task can be set as a push, or a policy, or a combination of the two as in policy supported push.  A push attempts to download and install the software (or install from the network depending on what download settings you have chosen in your distribution and patch configuration) and if this fails for some reason, the task is done until you restart.  A policy will actually wait for the machine to "check in", before delivering the payload and installing - so more of a "pull" then a push.  A policy supported push is the best of both worlds in that it will attempt to deploy the software right away, but if the client is offline or busy, it will fail over to a policy and wait for the client to check in.

2 - the "policytaskhandler.exe" will detect a new task, it will send an UDP discovery parquet to be sure that the software will be delivery to the right device. then it will create an xml file that contains the task description. So how will notify the target device that there is a new software to detect and  does it log this information ?

I don't know the specifics of how policytaskhandler.exe works, but basically, when the LD agent checks in with the core, it looks to see if there are any outstanding policies assigned to the agent/client, and if there are, they will initiate.  See link below for an excellent reference document with locations for both server and client side log files.

3 - the sdclient will start by downloading the task xml file (using http protocol). When the download of distribution package will start??

As soon as possible I would think, unless another process (vulscan.exe for example) is preventing it from running right away.

4 - where can I find log files  (in the server side and client side)

Log file locations by LANDesk component for 9.x

5 - the tcp port 9594 is used for what?

It appears to be the port the core server uses to communicate software distribution tasks with the client/agent.

Ports used by LANDESK Management Suite - Full List

• 2. Re: how does software distribution work ?
            HermiM Apprentice

@Dave Johnston

thank you so much for your answer. it helps me to understand many concepts.

one more question: what is the utility of defining " job type (required,recommended and optional)" and the "frequency (run once, periodic, as desired).

in the help it says that:

• Recommended: Users have the choice of when to install recommended policies. Recommended policies are selected by default on the device UI.

I can't understand what is exactly the device UI !! and what is the difference between recommended and optional !!

thank you again and sorry for all these questions.

Best regards

Hermi

• 3. Re: how does software distribution work ?
              Dave Johnston Apprentice

You're very welcome!  I'm glad I can help.  I'll do my best to answer your next question too.  One of the good things about LANDesk - it's flexibility - can alos make the learning phase a little bit harder.  The job type and frequency are two different settings, but the combination of these two settings will determine how your package behaves when it is deployed.  The 'type' basically just refers to whether or not it will be displayed in the portal (from the client computer, Start -> All Programs -> LANDesk Management -> Portal Manager, this is most likely the UI the help article is talking about).  If you set the type to optional or recommended, the package will show up in the portal, and I believe the only difference is an indicator that it is recommended when it shows up in the portal.  Required will not show in the portal.  Frequency is just that, if you select run once, it will run a single time and when it succeeds or fails it is done.  If you choose to run it recurring, you could have it run daily - an example would be some setting or application you want to be "reset" or re-installed on a periodic basis.  The 'as desired' setting works in conjunction with the recommended or optional settings - you can control if a user can ONLY install the package once, or if they can continue to install the package as many times as they would like (as desired).

I know that got to be kind of a long explanation, but hopefully that helps clear it up a little!

• 4. Re: how does software distribution work ?
                HermiM Apprentice

@Dave Johnston

thank you so much for your answer. I appreciate :-)