3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2016 8:35 AM by Jharris3400

Using SLM for Java Usage

Apprentice

Has anyone ever used Landesk SLM to monitor the usage of Java? If so, how did you set it up and are the numbers accurate? I'm trying to find workstations that have Java installed but haven't been used so that I can remove it.

I gave this a run and it seems to be showing me accurate numbers but I want to make sure before I go ahead and remove Java from these workstations. Here is how my setup looks:

• Created a new Custom monitored product
      • Installation detection is coming from a query I made for workstations that have any version of Java 7 installed
      • Usage detection I added every java.exe file that is version 7
      • Total of 6,729 devices with Java 7 installed
      • Total of 4,892 devices have never used it
      • Total of 1,186 devices haven't used it in 90 days

Basically that's saying only 651 workstations have used Java 7 total. I want to believe that number but I also want to check and see if anyone else has done something like this before. Is there another file besides java.exe that I should have it monitor for usage?

Landesk 9.6 SP2

Thanks,

Andrew

• 1. Re: Using SLM for Java Usage
          Jharris3400 Apprentice

We are using SLM and is accurate esp with 9.6 sp2. I will caution you, with any product be sure to group items together. For example, you can have several Java version 7.blah.blah.blah and sometimes Landesk treats them separately. I suggest searching for Java under all items or discovered, then find all versions on 7, highlight all, right-click, choose group, and add to monitor queue. This will ensure you have ALL versions of Java 7 including any other product you wish to track. I would also check to see if another version of Java (v8) is installed as it is possible.

• 2. Re: Using SLM for Java Usage
            Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I made sure to include every version of Java.exe for 7. See screenshot below. I just wasn't sure if I should search for Java in general or just java.exe.

Thanks,

Andrew

• 3. Re: Using SLM for Java Usage
              Jharris3400 Apprentice

No, you should not have to. SLM already has the .exe's listed to search/monitor.