1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2017 5:01 AM by WhiteFox

Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016

Rookie

Hi - Has anyone come across any errors when upgrading LANDesk in regards to the "checking database upgrade prerequisites?

I have a test core server that we are in the process of upgrading to LDMS 2016 from 9.6. The install happily gets to the "Checking database upgrade prerequisites" part of the install and then fails. when you click on the setup logs the error that appears is:

Execution of CheckIsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade completed. Return code: -1

any ideas?

• 1. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
          Apprentice

What version of SQL are you using?  2016 supports SQL 2008 R2, 2012 and 2014

• 2. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
            Rookie

Hi - This particular one is SQL Express which came bundled with 9.6

• 3. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
              Apprentice

I don't think you can upgrade SQL express in 2016.  You will need to either move the DB to MS SQL2008 R2, 2012 or 2014. A new install supports SQL Express 2016. This goes over a lot of 2016 https://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-39935

• 4. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                Apprentice

It's SQL Express 2014 that comes with LDMS2016...not 2016....

• 5. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                  Apprentice

"I don't think you can upgrade SQL express in 2016"(please verify this...I don't use SQL Express and not 100% certain)

• 6. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                    DMoenks Apprentice

I'm encountering the exact same error message when installing a new core server while trying to upgrade the database from version 9.5.
                    I suspected the database migration from SQL Server 2012 to 2014 prior to installation to be the possible cause, but we're currently unable to pinpoint the real cause.

The information stated in the log files is negligible and we couldn't find any indication of errors in the database server's log files.

Giving the database user extended access rights also didn't help.

EDIT:
                    After further investigation I opened a case for this as no possible cause could be found.

I'll keep you updated.

• 7. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                      jkessel Rookie

I am running in to the same thing trying to patch our dev server this morning.  The installer GUI shows me this:

2016.JPG

When i hit "Try Again" I see that the only log being updated is LANDesk.Install.LDMS_2016-02-22 09_50_37 and it shows me thing when it attempts again...  I'll open up a case too as well unless i figure something else out

2016-02-22 10:27:43 INFO: Executing command CheckIsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade(SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())
                      2016-02-22 10:27:43 INFO: Executing: D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\LANDesk.Common.RunMethod.exe assemblyFile=".\Install Only Files\LANDesk.Install.Common.Actions.dll" class="DatabaseActions" Method="IsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade" commandLine="True"(Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())
                      2016-02-22 10:27:44 ERROR: Execution of CheckIsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade completed. Return code: -1, State: Failure(SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())
                      2016-02-22 10:31:49 INFO: Executing command CheckIsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade(SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())
                      2016-02-22 10:31:49 INFO: Executing: D:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\LANDesk.Common.RunMethod.exe assemblyFile=".\Install Only Files\LANDesk.Install.Common.Actions.dll" class="DatabaseActions" Method="IsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade" commandLine="True"(Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())
                      2016-02-22 10:31:50 ERROR: Execution of CheckIsDatabaseReadyForUpgrade completed. Return code: -1, State: Failure(SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand())
                      • 8. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                        jparis Rookie

Double check in Services that SQL Server services are running. I had this happen during our upgrade and started the SQL Server backup and it passed the check after that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                          DMoenks Apprentice

Our status thus far:

• Upgrading our productive core server (LDMS 9.5 SP2) failed because of configurations done to the IIS which can't be remediated by the installation process.
                            (I suppose this server would also suffer from the problem with upgrading the database if it would continue beyond the problem with configuring the IIS)
                          • Installing a new core server with the release LDMS 2016 and upgrading the database failed because of the error stated in this thread.
                          • Installing a new core server with the release LDMS 9.6 is in preparation, just to check if the database is causing the problems.

EDIT:

It seems that installing LDMS 9.6 works as it should. I'll install SP2 once the installation finishes and try to upgrade to LDMS 2016 afterwards.

• 10. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                            Apprentice

I went from 9.6 SP1 to 2016 without issues on my test core.  Using Server 2012 with SQL 2008 R2....Just an FYI...

• 11. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                              DMoenks Apprentice

Finally we've successfully upgraded to LDMS 2016 by installing a new core server with LDMS 9.6 and updating to LDMS 9.6 SP2 and LDMS 2016 afterwards. This way the database could be updated as expected and the new server is up and running.

After further analysis by the support technician this may have been caused by our core server running just LDMS 9.5 SP2 instead of SP3. Updating to the most recent SP was no option for us, because of the error stated in my previous post.

Because of this the possible cause might just have been the missing SP3, which might also be the case for SP1 and SP2 for LDMS 9.6.

I would suggest updating to the latest SP for your release before trying to upgrade to LDMS 2016.

• 12. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                                Rookie

Hi,

I have same problem with my installation.

I have my old server LDMS 9.5 SP3, with Windows 2008 R2 Standard and SQL Express 2008.

And I have my new server LDMS 2016, with Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter and SQL Express 2012.

I backed up Database on my SQL Express 2008 and I restored it on my SQL Express 2012.

This installation can connect on this SQL Express 2012 but it stops at the same step.

How to solve this problem? or How to resume at the beginning of the installation?

thanks for your help

• 13. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                                  DMoenks Apprentice

I'd suggest trying the step-by-step installation procedure 9.6 > 9.6 SP2 > 2016 on your new server. At least this is what did the trick for us.

Neither the Windows Server nor the SQL Server version seems to have caused this in our environment, just the version of the LDMS database or its schema.

• 14. Re: Core server fails when upgrading to LDMS 2016
                                    Rookie

ok, thanks.

But I have began installation of 2016 and now I can't remove this installation to begin another with 9.6 for example.

1 2 Previous Next