7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2016 12:55 PM by GaryH

Push out Dell Bios Updates

GaryH Apprentice

We have pushed out bios setting changed to our dell boxes using Dell CCTK app. But we have never pushed out full bios updates, Pushing out the same file you would download and install to, say, update a Optiplex xx from A16 to A17 bios. Any experience in pushing these out and ant advice you could offer

Thanks

• 1. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
          JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

I used to push some of these out by creating queries for Manufacture and Model and does not new equal BIOS version. Then just used the pushed out the silent install of the executable via LANDESK SWD. But I would say that these were all on site workstations just to be sure they came back up and if not we had spares so we could send the others back to Dell because they were under warranty.

• 2. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
            GaryH Apprentice

Joe, thanks for the reply.  did you have installs that failed in a way that would render box unusable? Dell honored the warranty work?

or did bios just fail on some boxes  and you had to seek help from dell on those boxes, but otherwise they operated normally?

any other experiences.

• 3. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
              JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

I personally didn't have these issues with my deployment but they were set in place because of the fear or "flashing the BIOS" and we just put these safe measures in place to ease everyone's fear. The warranty part is something you would have to check to see what they allow or don't allow so you don't void it and Dell will accept the failed BIOS update paperweights.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
                Silvercoupe Apprentice

I've pushed out many Dell BIOS updates via LDMS.  In honesty, there's not much difference in risk deploying via LDMS versus installing manually.  If you're going to have an issue with a BIOS upgrade, it's going to happen whether you pushed it or ran it manually.

I would certainly suggest doing your BIOS upgrades in manageable batches though.  I don't know how many nodes you support, but taking a certain percentage at a time and ensuring they come back up before moving on will save you from an overload of failures if something did go wrong.  That said, I updated several thousand machines throughout our Enterprise with less than a 1% failure rate.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
                  GaryH Apprentice

Silvercoup.  Thanks.  That is what I was looking for.  Probably going to have to push out 7010 update to about 800 boxes. I'm checking with Dell via rep, but I was thinking that it had to be pretty much cut and dried.  Problem is that some of machines on WAN are in pretty remote areas.  I like 1%, however.

• 6. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
                    Silvercoupe Apprentice

Hey, don't hold me to that.    I won't be around if it's above 1%.

I'm sure you've tested on a few machines already and I can't recall offhand which Opitplex model (I believe it was the 790's) and BIOS version it was, but I did identify an issue that showed up after updating the BIOS a while back.  Not a LANDESK problem but worth mentioning.  A certain BIOS version and model combo started acquiring two DHCP reservations after the BIOS upgrade.  It was something about the AMT chipset getting 2 IPs.

I'm cautious of BIOS upgrades in general.  In that case it was the lesser of two evils as the new version fixed a USB connectivity issue but also caused the dual IP reservations.  Wound up having to actually push a downgrade package to a few hundred.

• 7. Re: Push out Dell Bios Updates
                      GaryH Apprentice

Lol.  Don't worry.  We aren't going at this willy-nillie and I've been around the block. If we need to do it its because we have no other choice.  We are trying to bring Dell in on the conversation.  If it's not Necessary . . . . we wont bother.