9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2008 9:19 AM by Tracy

Multiple thinstalls in memory

Slayerking92 Apprentice

I seem to be having an issue with a few different thinapps.  The programs do not close properly and remain in memory.  In our environment, there are a lot of shared machines with people running the apps several times, and before too long, the machine is out of memory. 

Another problem this is causing is the "remove sandbox on exit" fails to happen (because the app is still running) and will not clean the sandbox until the tasks are killed.  Is there a way to kill these processes when the app is closed?

• 1. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
          Tracy Expert

What are the apps? There is usually a way to make the app exit completely. Try running dll_dump.exe to find out which module(s) are preventing the app from closing and start there.

-Tracy

• 2. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
            Slayerking92 Apprentice

One app is ESP from Kronos,  The other is Clinibase from logibec.  Once I figure out what processes are stuck, what do I do next?

• 3. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
              Tracy Expert

first thing would be to check ThinTalk for the modules that aren't exiting or to see if anyone has done that app before. Many times it can be solved by changing an isolation mode on a registry key or directory. Also check to see if the same exe is still running on you physical capture machine (to make sure it isn't normal). Post the exe's that remain open (listed by dll dump) and I'll see if I can help. If not, you may need to open a ticket with support.

BTW the "search" button on the Thintalk site is above the Thinstall banner. Sounds simple enough, but it eluded many of us. 

-Tracy

• 4. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                Slayerking92 Apprentice

Finally been able to replicate the problem on my VM.  But it looks like the main exe (besides the thinstall .exe) remains open.

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Application Virtualization>dll_dump.exe * -fp | find /n  ".exe"
                [3]Package Source=C:\Program Files\ESP 3.6.7 (Test) (VMware ThinApp)\ESP 3.6.7 (Test).exe
                [4]Process Name=C:\ESP367\esp.exe
                [5]Command Line="C:\Program Files\ESP 3.6.7 (Test) (VMware ThinApp)\ESP 3.6.7 (Test).exe"
                [7]00400000-006a2000 SYSTEM    C:\ESP367\esp.exe
                [8]00400000-006a2000 SYSTEM    C:\Program Files\ESP 3.6.7 (Test) (VMware ThinApp)\ESP 3.6.7 (Test).exe
                [102]Package Source=C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Application Virtualization\Setup Capture.exe
                [103]Process Name=C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware North Star\dll_dump.exe
                [104]Command Line=dll_dump.exe * -fp
                [106]00400000-00411000 SYSTEM    C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware North Star\dll_dump.exe
                [107]00400000-00411000 SYSTEM    C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware North Star\dll_dump.exe

• 5. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                  Tracy Expert

Just so I make sure I understand. You are installing and running the virtualized app on a machine that already has the program installed? Also did you capture the virtual one installed to a different path? it looks like the virtual app running in this path (C:\Program Files\ESP 3.6.7 (Test) (VMware ThinApp)\) is making a call to the physical path and launching the installed version as a child process. Does the same thing happen if you capture the app installing to C:\ESP367\ instead of under Program Files?

-Tracy

• 6. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                    Tracy Expert

Another thing I just thought of would be to create a %drive_C%\ESP367 directory in your current build directory and create an attributes.ini file that sets isolation to full, and rebuild.

-Tracy

• 7. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                      Slayerking92 Apprentice

No, the "Full" install is not on the machine.  The capture install was installed to C:\ESP367 and does not exist outside the thinstall.  It is the thinstall EXE that is getting installed to "Program Files"

• 8. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                        Slayerking92 Apprentice

The %drive_C%\ESP367\##Attributes.ini from the capture was set to FULL.

• 9. Re: Multiple thinstalls in memory
                          Tracy Expert

I have run through a few scenarios, and can't figure out where this is going wrong. You may need to open a support ticket and upload your program (if possible).

-Tracy