1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2008 4:08 AM by scottunify

MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)

Apprentice

Dear all

We are trying to install a 3rd party MSI but getting the dreaded 1603 MSI error.  We have tried allsorts inc. elevating NTFS/registry/DCOM permissions to no avail and we have checked we can install other MSIs fine with out current version of InstallShield (11.5).  I have attached the verbose MSI logfile in the hope someone can read and understand it and shine some light on our predicament. I have copied an extract from the logfile below for quick reference to the seemingly problematic area:-

------------------
      MSI (s) (68!70) [11:46:40:300]: Creating MSIHANDLE (236) of type 790531 for thread 2160
      1: Failed to extract IGdi.dll, Ignore it.
      MSI (s) (68!70) [11:46:40:300]: Closing MSIHANDLE (236) of type 790531 for thread 2160
      MSI (s) (68!54) [11:46:40:300]: Creating MSIHANDLE (237) of type 790531 for thread 2644
      1: ISMsiServerStartup Failure, Failed to Initialize script support, Error = 0x80070006
      MSI (s) (68!54) [11:46:40:300]: Closing MSIHANDLE (237) of type 790531 for thread 2644
      MSI (s) (68:3C) [11:46:40:300]: Closing MSIHANDLE (194) of type 790542 for thread 2392
      1: MsiServerStartup failed. Abort installation.
      Action ended 11:46:40: ISStartup. Return value 3.
      MSI (s) (68:58) [11:46:40:316]: Doing action: ISCleanUpFatalExit
      Action ended 11:46:40: ISMsiServerStartup. Return value 1603.

------------------

I have looked in the InstallShield/Acresso Forums and scoured the web generally and found loads of people suffering the same fate.  What appears to be consistent is that:-

- Launch MSI as local system when an admin is logged in: works
      - Launch MSI as local system when nobody is logged in: works

- Launch MSI as local system when a non-admin local user is logged in: works. 

- Launch MSI as local system when a non-admin domain user is logged in: doesn't work (our environment).

We can force the installation to be successful by adding the logged on domain user to a "Desktop Admins" group which effectively elevates their permissions to 'administrator'.  However, this really is our last resort and least preferred solution because it's against IT Policy to any user to install unauthorised apps.  Attached the logfile from a successful installation so comparisons can be made between a failed and successful installation if helpful when troubleshooting.  I have tried StartAsUser.exe  but the install fails due to lack of admin rights as expected.  There must be a way to get this MSI installed without having to elevate the permissions of the logged-on user.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
          zman Master

So what does this MSI do? Is it a repackage?

The first error is 1: ISStartUp Failure. OpenEvent, Error = 0x2  Here is a good post on that one

• 2. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Does it work if you distribute it to a machine where you have modified the LANdesk management agent to run as a domain account with local admin privs?  If so, if the issue is like the one in zman's post, it might be easier to temporarily mod your agents to start under a domain account so that you can distribute this app.  Not ideal long term but maybe worthwhile for a short term win.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
              Apprentice

@zman, thanks for the URL, I'll checking it out and post the results...

@MarXtar, like your suggestion, but after snooping around the Agent Configuration options I see no way to specify an alternative (domain admin) account.  I may have overlooked this so if you can point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciated.

• 4. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                zman Master

Also, if it is the system account causing the issue:

1. Configure to run from source
                2. Use preferred server
                3. Prefered server account is local admin

This will install the package using the preferred server credentials in lieu of system account.

• 5. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                  Apprentice

We are planning to upgrade LDMS 8.5 to 8.8 next month (yes, I know it's not supported anymore and it's long long overdue!).  We currently deploy packages via UNC from localised file servers.  E.g. When deploying a package to a client in CityA we use \\ServerA\package, CityB we use \\ServerB\package and so on... 

Preferred Servers could be the answer!  So, according to the LANDesk Support doc "How to Configure a Preferred Package Server?" (http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1385) we should be able to update our clients to reference a Preferred Server as follows:-

---------------------

Modify this registry key on client machines:
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\WinClient\SoftwareDistribution\
                  Add a new string value named PreferredPackageServer. Set this to the name of the package server.

---------------------

In theory, the package could insert the above reg key, install the QuickView Updater MSI (with success hopefully), then delete the reg key so that subsequent packages use the standard (UNC) deployment method.  Will this work please?

Thx

Scott

• 6. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                    zman Master

I don't think this will work (using the preferred server account credentials)in your version since there will be NO prefered server credentials. 8.8 it will.

• 7. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

I have attached a batch file that you can use to achieve what i suggested.  It uses two utilities, SC.EXE (built into XP) to set the logon account, and

NTRIGHTS.EXE (from the windows2003 resource kit) to set the logon as a service right for that account.  You would need to add NTRIGHTS.EXE to be delivered

as an additional file.

Try it out and see if it allows you to do what you want (make sure the patchs work for you).  Note that SC.EXE is expecting the password in clear text so

you might want to clean up the batch file afterwards so you don't leave it available for viewing.

Hope this helps at least until you migrate to 8.8.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 8. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                        Apprentice

MarXtar, unfortunately same result in the MSI logfile when trying your SC.EXE/NTRIGHTS.EXE suggestion.   

I had a breakthrough though... basically, I read somewhere that MSI troubleshooters advise to try removing any Custom Actions.  So I opened the MSI in Orca, deleted the Custom Actions, saved it as a new MSI, re-deployed via LANDesk and checked the MSI logfile which confirmed "successful installation".  Hallelujah!!

Well, it took days to get this far only to then find issues when using the application some of which I need to contact Interwoven, for example, we get a "COM-Add-In" error and Interwoven-integration no longer work.  However, when I add the user to a domain admin group and manually install the application works fine without a "COM-Add-In" error, etc...

Could it be that although the MSI "successfully installed", it required the logged-on user to have admin rights during installation because it may be a 'per-user installation' as opposed to a 'per-machine installation'?  Also, we are specifying ALLUSERS=1 within the MSI command-line parameters, but how can we tell if an MSI is a 'per-user installation' or 'per-machine installation'? 

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Scott

• 9. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                          phoffmann SupportEmployee

It always IS possible. Some apps flat-out refuse to be installed properly as local system.

The only way to find out is to test, test, test - pretty much.

If you want help in "simulating" local system rights, go look here. This tells you how to create a CMD-window as local system - gives you lots of room to test with :).

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1645

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 10. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                            Apprentice

Hi Paul

We have used the LocalSystem cmd prompt in the past to good effect and used it again in this scenario which again confirmed "successful installation" in the MSI logfile but the issues I described when using the applications.

So I can take from this testing that this particular suite of applications flat-out refuse to be installed properly as local system.  I don't understand why though.  Can you/anyone explain where we might be going wrong and what we need to do to get it working as LocalSystem please?

Kind Regards

Scott

• 11. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)

That you need to take up with the vendor of the software.

Some packages simply ARE like that - various Autocad softwares come to my own mind as particular examples.

WHY they cause this - I've no idea. I've been looking now (for many years) what it is that Local System does NOT have that local admin DOES (Microsoft doesn't state it anywhere that I've been able to locate) ... it just is one of those things that we learned that local system is CLOSE to local admin, but it isn't quite working "as advertised" so to speak.

The only ways around this usually are:

- Repackaging the software

- And/Or talking to the software vendor regarding automated deployment (and the local system issue).

Paul Hoffmann

• 12. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                                ahe Expert

Hello Scott,

what does the software producer say? Do you found some entries of your software on www.appdeploy.com as Dave (zman) mentioned?

Which type of software do you install, does it use .net, ODBC, other network connects (client-server-app)...

Sometimes a software needs a guilty network connection to a share, database, license server, etc. to create a succesful installation. These connects are often not possible with a local system account, often it is possible with a domain account only...

Regards
                                Axel

• 13. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)
                                  Apprentice

Hi Axel

I am awaiting a call from the software producer.  Not entries on appdeploy.com for "QuickView Updater 8.2" that I can see.  It does not appear to rely on .Net but does rely on InstallShield Script 11.50 (which is installed "successfully").

If we install with LocalSystem or domain admin the logfiles confirmed it was installed "successfully" but the applications failed to work correctly as previously described.  However, if we add the logged-on user (the owner of the machine that has non-admin rights) to a domain admin group and manually install, the logfile confirm the installation was "successful" AND the application works correctly.

So it appears the logged-on user MUST have admin rights at the time of the installation otherwise the application will not work correctly, despite the installation being "successful".  Perhaps there's a way we can temporarily elevate the user's permissions during the installations only?

• 14. Re: MSI Error 1603 "A fatal error occurred during installation" (ISMsiServerStartup)

That'll be difficult since - as you remember - if you change a live user's rights they need to log off and log back on again.

Repackaging might be the best way forward ... something like "Install tailor" used to be a decent free utility in the past (if you're lucky you might find the last free version of it - version 6.0) that was a suggestion I received from the user forums. Nowadays it's - otherwise - only purchasable.

See what you hear back from the software vendor - but certainly look towards repackaging - that'll be a more fruitful endeavour I think. If desperate, you can always see if the ESWD packet capture should work - maybe it's a simple-enough app for it? :).

Paul Hoffmann

1 2 Previous Next