1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 8:29 AM by GreggSmith

Xtraction stopped loading

marc.see Rookie

I've been able to reload data model files with no issues, until a couple of days ago. On the last data model reload, it gave me a successful popup. When I restarted the browser, Xtraction stopped loading. The error message "An error has occurred during processing..." appeared right when Xtraction is "Loading folders..." There's no way for me to revert back to an older data model file since I have to be in Xtraction to do it.

What would cause Xtraction to stop loading midway? Is there any other way to reload an older data model file?

• 1. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
          ITSMMVPGroup

You could look in the Xtraction log files and/or perhaps also put back the older data model and iisreset?

• 2. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
            marc.see Rookie

This is what the last entry of the log file says:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at SqlDataEngine.Services.DataModelService.LogInactiveSelectFields(View view, ListSelectFieldCollection selectFields)

at 5.7.Deserialize(DefaultColumns defaultColumns)

at Xtraction.Service.SqlDataEngineService.GetDefaultListFields(String viewUniqueId)

at Xtraction.Service.SessionService.GetDefaultColumnsForCurrentUser()

at Xtraction.Web.Services.SessionWebService.GetDefaultColumnsForCurrentUser()

I'd like to reload the older data model, but I can't because I have to do it within Xtraction, which cannot load properly.

• 3. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
              ITSMMVPGroup

The data model is just a file.  I always make a copy when making major changes.  IF you happen to do that, you can put the file back, (I generally do an iisreset) and you will be back as you were.

• 4. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                marc.see Rookie

The data model file does not take affect unless it is reloaded in Xtraction itself. I have backup copies of data model files 5 changes back.

• 5. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                  marc.see Rookie

I know Xtraction does not have versioning capabilities, I just made different copies every time I made a new data model file. To give you guys the benefit of the doubt, I replaced the data model file with an older working one. Started Chrome from new. Unfortunately it did not work.

FYI:

Capture.PNG

• 6. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                    ITSMMVPGroup

I've found an iisreset is sometimes needed to force this through.  If all else fails, I'd suggest you contact your local support team

• 7. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                      GreggSmith SupportEmployee

The Xtraction server application reads the data model file when it first starts up.  It does not AUTOMATICALLY re-read that file afterwards.

If you make a change to your data model file, those changes will NOT be available in Xtraction until the server application re-reads the file.

There are two ways to have Xtraction read the file.

1. As was stated in my first sentence, Xtraction reads the data model file when it first starts up.  So, one way is cause Xtraction to restart.  This can be done by stop/start the Xtraction application pool, stop/start IIS, or reboot the server.  Of course, rebooting the server is extreme and I am not suggesting that you have to reboot the server every time you make a data model change.  I am just pointing out that, technically, that is one way to make Xtraction reload.  Regardless of which method you use to restart Xtraction, there is an "outage" with the duration of the outage determined by which method you use (AppPool reset affects just Xtraction and is instant, IIS reset affects all web apps on the server and is basically instant, server reboot is significantly longer).  The outage may or may not affect users currently logged in.

2. The Administration > Reload > Data Model menu option in the web interface instructs the server application to re-read the file.  The benefit to this method is that there is no outage.

Of course, if Xtraction is not loading and you can't get to the Administration menu, then #2 is not an option available to you to reload the data model file.  Therefore, you will need to use one of the methods in option #1.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Xtraction stopped loading

As to Xtraction not loading after the data model change, what was the latest change(s) made to the data model?  Did you, by chance, rename, delete or inactivate any fields/tables/views that were previously available?

• 9. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                          marc.see Rookie

Thanks guys. Since I'm the only one that uses the server at the moment (I'm tasked to get it ready for management), I can do a system reboot at any time. I did that a couple of days ago, but it didn't work. Today, I tried both app and IIS restart as you guys suggested (SQL server for Xtraction stop, Xtraction Task Manager stop, then IIS restart; then reverse to restart). Still didn't work. Gregg, hopefully the CA person (Jobby) I'm working with had contacted someone from Landesk and scheduled a time for a remote session.

• 10. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                            marc.see Rookie

The issue was finally resolved.

We started Xtraction in debug mode (http://[server]/Xtraction/Flash/Default.aspx?debugmode=true), we got the following error message:

(mx.messaging.messages::ErrorMessage)#0

body = (null)

clientId = "86123c86-5275-4f1f-a5b8-bccf2df6c39e"

correlationId = "618B00F6-D4EF-78FC-C7A2-620EE8F15C82"

destination = "fluorine"

extendedData = (Object)#1

faultCode = "Server.Processing"

faultDetail = (null)

faultString = "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

headers = (Object)#2

DSId = "805b99d918e04ed38ea7d91f958601b2"

messageId = "cb44c954-5274-4283-bdeb-acf9f421a581"

rootCause = (null)

timestamp = 190203454

timeToLive = 0

We (CA, Peter Vel, and Gregg Smith) figured out that the issue was due to a default column created in Xtraction was referencing to an object not found in the data model. This happened because I loaded a previous data model. To fix this, we manually removed the default column by going to SQL Management Studio: Database > Xtraction > Tables > dbo.DefaultColumns.

• 11. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                              cmajewsk Apprentice

What was the column that was removed? Or by what process did you figure out what the "bad" column was?  We're having the exact same issue with the following in the error log. Reverting to a previous Data Model file doesn't work.

Machine User Id : NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at SqlDataEngine.Services.DataModelService.LogInactiveSelectFields(View view, ListSelectFieldCollection selectFields)

at a.1.Deserialize(DefaultColumns defaultColumns)

at Xtraction.Service.SqlDataEngineService.GetDefaultListFields(String viewUniqueId)

at Xtraction.Service.SessionService.GetDefaultColumnsForCurrentUser()

at Xtraction.Web.Services.SessionWebService.GetDefaultColumnsForCurrentUser()

correlationId = "244C2B78-913F-D42D-70C1-7F5D146B8C7E"

destination = "fluorine"

extendedData = (Object)#1

faultCode = "Server.Processing"

faultDetail = (null)

faultString = "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

headers = (Object)#2

DSId = "f6e7d8695f6a44628fe9ae71e65d3ee5"

messageId = "afa54ab5-ff81-41a6-8a68-097086f72c56"

rootCause = (null)

timestamp = -1580759347

timeToLive = 0

The only changes we did was within the Task Task View we added an extra table "EFFORT LOG" View and joined it with "TASK" table. And in the Changes View we  Joined "CHANGE" table with "EFFORT LOG" Table...very strange to now get this..and also unable to rollback.

• 12. Re: Xtraction stopped loading

If you add a field to the data model and then add that field to your personal profile settings as a default column to show for that view, an entry is stored in the Xtraction database indicating that field is in your settings.  If you then rename the ID or delete the field altogether from the data model, the database now has an entry for you that points to a non-existent field and YOUR login process generates an error when it tries to load in your profile settings.  Other users would still be able to log in normally, since their profile settings wouldn't have a problem.  If a dashboard was created that referenced that same field, anyone attempting to load that dashboard would get the error when loading it.

As for the data model changes, where did you add the join, in the EFFORT LOG table (pointing to Task/Change) or in the Task/Change tables (pointing to EFFORT LOG)?

Gregg

• 13. Re: Xtraction stopped loading
                                  cmajewsk Apprentice

I think this is a different issue as it affected all users, no one could login (or at lest the 8 different people contacted - all were receiving the same error). And it wasn't when loading a particular dashboard, the error occurred when attempting to login so you couldn't even get to the dashboards. I found an Xtraction Admin session still open on a machine (even after have restarting the IIS App Pools and IIS Admin Service multiple times - nice resiliency). I went into Administration>>Settings>>Default Columns. I was able to add columns to any of the Views without issue. However, when I tried adding to the Incidents View it would throw an error. I deleted the Incidents entry and Xtraction loaded fine. I added the default columns one by one to the Incident view by looking at what was in dbo.DefaultColums, without issue. All while running the most recently changed version of the Data Model file.

So if a user adds a default column to their profile, and an admin removes the column, how can you recover the user profile?

How can you tell what column caused the this issue?  How can you prevent this from happening.

What was added was Task/Change tables (pointing to EFFORT LOG). None of the default columns we touched so it was strange to get this

• 14. Re: Xtraction stopped loading

Hello,

I'm a bit confused by part of your description.

You said you delete the Incidents entry (from the Admin dialog in the web interface, correct?) and then used the dbo.DefaultColumns information to rebuild the Incident entry.  Is that correct?

Here is why I am confused: when you use the web interface to delete the Incident entry, that deletes it's record from the dbo.DefaultColumns table.  If you just deleted the record from the table, it is no longer in the table for you to then reference to rebuild the Incident entry (which would then create/update that same entry back into the table).  It is a circular reference.

The DefaultColumns table holds the Default Columns information for both the global admin settings and each user's personal settings.  I'm thinking that the global setting for Incidents referenced a field that was subsequently deleted or had it's ID renamed, breaking Xtraction.  Then, you deleted it through the web interface which deleted the record from the table, and then used one of the records storing some user's personal setting for Incidents as the basis for rebuilding the global setting.

As to your questions, there is not currently a built-in way to notify or prevent an Admin from changing an ID or deleting the object if has been referenced within Xtraction.  Correcting the situation requires either identifying the offending change and undoing it, at least temporarily, until you can modify anything referencing that object, or simply deleting the affected item(s) in the database that are referencing the missing object.

The ID change/object deletion in the data model can be at any level: data model, view, table, or field.  Depending on what was changed and where it was referenced, the change could affect security policies, global settings, a specific user's settings, individual dashboards, individual saved filters, etc.

The key thing is to NOT delete or rename the ID of any object in the data model if it is possible that someone has referenced within Xtraction.  You can query the database to identify any references to the object, but you still need to manually check any security policies through the web interface, as those details are not stored in the database.  Instead of deleting an object, my recommendation is to first inactivate it in the data model and then test to confirm that it does not break anything.

1 2 Previous Next