9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2016 11:47 AM by dmshimself

Scheduled Bulk Actions failing

Expert

Hi Guys,

We've been having problems with our scheduled actions for a couple of weeks now.   None will run - not existing or new ones.

Event Log shows the following errors for each event;

"The Scheduled Action Monitor task failed with the following error message: Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'tps_name', table 'LDSD_dv.dbo.tps_scheduled_result_detail'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails."

"SqlException

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'tps_name', table 'LDSD_dv.dbo.tps_scheduled_result_detail'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

The statement has been terminated."

We are getting a  bit concerned as many of our processes use scheduled actions to close things down etc., and things like our outbound email queue are getting slow.

I suspect that a script sent by support to try to fix an issue with calculation based scheduled actions might have caused this as we can see there are missing entries in the tps_scheduled_action_attribute table etc.

If anyone has seen this or has any advice I would be very grateful.

Many thanks - Adam.

• 1. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
          ITSMMVPGroup

I'd delete the contents of the schedule results detail and scheduled results table.  When these get too large, all sorts of odd things can happen.  The contents don't have any long term value IMHO

• 2. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
            Expert

Cheers DMS,

I'll clear down the entries as you suggest.

The underlying problem, however, seems to be with missing or wrong entries in the  tps_scheduled_action_attribute table.

This is preventing any scheduled actions from running at all,  and is affecting many of our processes so people are getting very concerned here.

It's one of these problems that sounds minor but is having real impact on us.

We've reproduced this in our dev environments, and at this point we are ready to try any drastic suggestions that anyone can come up with!

Cheers - Adam.

• 3. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
              ITSMMVPGroup

How about deleting any schedule that is failing and recreating it?

• 4. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                Expert

Hi Dave,

The schedule/s that were suspected of stopping all others from working wouldn't let us either open or delete them - similar constraint errors.

Support managed to fix.

We enabled database trace logging and tried to run the schedules so we could confirm which were failing.  Used the GUI do identify the broken actions and deleted via a script...

declare @ScheduledActionName nvarchar(200)
                set @ScheduledActionName = 'action name here'

delete from tps_scheduled_result_detail where tps_scheduled_result_guid in
                (select tps_guid from tps_scheduled_result where tps_scheduled_action_guid =
                (select tps_guid from tps_scheduled_action where tps_name = @ScheduledActionName))

delete from tps_scheduled_result where tps_scheduled_action_guid =
                (select tps_guid from tps_scheduled_action where tps_name = @ScheduledActionName)

delete from tps_scheduled_action_attribute where tps_scheduled_action_guid =
                (select tps_guid from tps_scheduled_action where tps_name = @ScheduledActionName)

delete from tps_scheduled_action_value where tps_scheduled_action_guid =

delete from tps_scheduled_action where tps_name = @ScheduledActionName

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                  ITSMMVPGroup

Nasty - glad support sorted that out

• 6. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                    bmagurn Apprentice

I've had the same issue.  I think it was introduced as result of a version upgrade.

Except I don't get any details of the SQL issue that is causing it to timeout. 

Just the timeout entry in the event log.

I'm on 7.8.3

• 7. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                      ITSMMVPGroup

I'd call your loca LANDESK support team unless you want to run some SQL tracing to try and track it down.

• 8. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                        bmagurn Apprentice

Thanks - I'm good.  it's the same problem as mentioned.  There are issues in the scheduled action table.

I've deleted some of the scheduled actions through SQL as mentioned in the article and will see if they run ok tonight.

It looks like it addressed the issue, as the background service is no longer throwing an error in the event log about

"The Scheduled Action Monitor task failed with the following error message: The operation has timed out"

• 9. Re: Scheduled Bulk Actions failing
                          ITSMMVPGroup

Result!  If can be a bit chicken and egg.  If the timeout was genuine, then you can get an object reference error as not all versions of LDSD handle that cleanly.  However it can also be a bad entry which causes the timeout.  Glad you have it sorted,