5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2016 9:34 AM by Peregrine

How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?

Peregrine Apprentice

Hi I'd like to uninstall a software that did not previously deployed through LANDesk SD.  I noticed there are multiple version that already installed on the clients machine. Is it possible to uninstall it just by title of the software?  I don't believe LANDesk can handle this out of the box? Do I need to create script or a batch file? Any help would be appreciated -Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?
          Apprentice

LANDesk doesn't provide the uninstall for software, it provides an avenue to push the uninstall the system (excluding Patch Manager which does in fact provide an uninstall option for the most patches). Depending on the software in question, some vendors provide a tool that removes all versions of a specific software. Some vendors will require you use the uninstall for each version specifically. It really comes down to vendor support of the software.

• 2. Re: How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?
            wcoffey SupportEmployee

If the software is an MSI there will be an uninstall string in the following  registry location of the device: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Uninstall \ . You can add the uninstall string in a batch file and distribute it through Software Distribution. The GUID is unique to each application not the device so if the application is on multiple devices you can send the same uninstall string to any device that has the software installed on it.

• 3. Re: How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?
              steve.may Apprentice

We use a PowerShell script that searches both SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall for the application name.  Here's an example script to uninstall all versions of Java.

$javaVer = Get-ChildItem -Path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall, HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall  |

Get-ItemProperty |

Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -match "java" -or $_.Displayname -match "J2SE"} |

Select-Object -Property DisplayName, UninstallString

ForEach ($ver in $javaVer) {

If ($ver.UninstallString) {

$uninst = $ver.UninstallString

$uninst = $uninst.Replace('/I','/X ')

& cmd -ArgumentList "/c $uninst /quiet /norestart" -NoNewWindow

}

}

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?
                Apprentice

steve.may

That is what I meant by LANDesk provides the avenue to push the uninstall but you have to either get the vendor uninstall or script it yourself. That PowerShell script is similar to previous scripts I've attempted a few times with no success so I am curious to see how well your version works!

• 5. Re: How do I unstall a software by title regardless of the version number?
                  Peregrine Apprentice

I tested per wcoffey's via batch file and it works.  I was going to use Steve's powershell script to get rid of my Java nightmares!