5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2016 9:52 AM by John Stuart-Robson

Window Design

Vicky1985 Apprentice

Hi

We are currently setting up the HR module to use for new starters and there appears to be a feature which means that no matter how nice I get my window to look in console when I create it, the design stretches right across the page when you view in web access.  Is there are way to stop this?  It look s a bit silly when you have a date field which is the full width of the screen.

We have tried resizing the fields and moving fields side by side but that somehow creates large spaces between the fields and puts a scroll bar on the bottom of the window.

We would be grateful for any help or advice.

Thank you

Vicky

• 1. Re: Window Design
          John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Vicky,

Can you post a screenshot of your window here?  There are a couple of things that can cause this.  One thing to make sure of is that you are setting the webdesk properties on your groupboxes.

If you have multiple groupboxes, you want to align all of your groupboxes with the top/first groupbox.  By Setting the "Align With Groupbox" property will make a big difference.  There can also be elements of your window design that cause the stretching.  If you post a screenshot of the window in window manager, I should be able to tell you what to adjust.

Thanks

John

• 2. Re: Window Design
            andreas.lindner Expert

Hi Vicky,

sometimes it helps to delete the Web-Access-Window, then change the design and, after saving the window, make it available for web again.

As John said, it may help to align the group boxes to one another. I've got some good experience in setting the alignment to the box containing the longest caption.

I've also had it once that one attribute was hiding behind a group box and had been set to "Show on window = false". So in WebAccess I couldn't see it but it simply mashed up the whole window alignment.

Also manually added labels (the ones without the data field) from the tools section can mash up your window design in WebAccess.

Hope it helps!

Andi

• 3. Re: Window Design
              Vicky1985 Apprentice

Starter.PNGHi John

Thank you for the reply here is a screen shot of the screen in web access.

Within console there is only 1 group box which has all of the information contained within it as we werent sure if the group boxes were causing the issue but this didnt resolve it as you can see.

Thanks

Vicky

• 4. Re: Window Design
                andreas.lindner Expert

Hi Vicky,

sorry to say, but as for your screenshot it looks like the normal behaviour. For the captions it uses the width of the longest caption and the "input area" of the fields are streched all the way to the right.

To make a window like in you screenshot, I'd arrange the fields in two columns. So the window will be a bit more usable.

Here is a screenshot that shows a window with multiple group boxes and attributes arranged in two colums or even mixing one and two columns. It's not perfectly alinged as I'm working on it right now.

Maybe arranging the attributes in that way is more like that what you want?!

Window.JPG

Maybe using the Workspace (or BridgeIT) is another option. Some windows are looking so much better using Workspaces.

Regards

Andreas

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Window Design
                  John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Vicky,

You can combat this in Webdesk by creating a number of dummy string attributes each of 20 characters or so.

So design the window as per andreas.lindner.  Your real label and attributes on the left hand side and your dummy attributes on the right hand side - hiding both the label and the attribute itself.

This should give you the desired effect you are after - if you wish to design your form in this way.  Otherwise I would suggest building the window as per the above

Hope that helps

John

1 of 1 people found this helpful