4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 3:47 PM by MarXtar

Combining a SAP GUI install with a SAP patch

Rookie

Hello everyone,

I am a begginer getting into sofware distro.  I am using LDMS 8.8 with SP1.

I created an SAP GUI 7.1 package using LANDesk package builder and it works great!  However when I upgrade my users to SAP 7.1 they are having issues that can be fixed with a SAP patch.    I could create two separate packages, one for the SAP upgrade, one for the patch, but that would create a lot more work. 

I created a ditributioin package for the SAP GUI then in Additional Files I added the .exe patch.  See attachment.  Whenever I push the distrobutioin package to the PCs it will install the SAP GUI but it is not patched.  This confuses me because it says that the task completed succesfully.

Any ideas on how to make this work or I am welcome to ideas on how to do this diferently.  I just want to get my people upgraded to SAP 7.1 patch level 9. 

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

• 1. Re: Combining a SAP GUI install with a SAP patch
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

"Additional Files" means "Extra files you want to copy". It does NOT mean "Run this afterwards".

What you could do is just create a batch file / AutoIT script or so, which takes care of this - install the first, and then install the latter (and you'd provide the SAP client and the service pack as additional files for your AutoIT binary or so).

Hope this clarifies what you're seeing?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Combining a SAP GUI install with a SAP patch
            zman Master

Paul is correct additional files just copies to the local cache. You could:

1. Make the patch the primary package, then make full gui install a prereq package.

So the Prereq package full gui installs first then the patch installs second. Sort of weird,you have to think backwards and I'm good at that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Combining a SAP GUI install with a SAP patch
              ahe Expert

Hello,

for updating the older SAP 7.1 installations create a query (s. picture) and use it for your Scheduled Task.

SAPwitthoutSP5.bmp

To use only one package, you've to "slipstream" the patch in your SAP 7.1 installation files (with NwUpdateInstServer.exe or NwSapSetupAdmin.exe)

Regards
              Axel

Nachricht geändert durch ahe: JPG's don't work... :-)

• 4. Re: Combining a SAP GUI install with a SAP patch
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Also consider that when you create a scheduled task you can set a preliminary package, a main package, and a final package so that you can perform multiple steps.  Make sure when you create you scheduled task that you have selected a mechanism other than multicast cache only before you try to choose your package otherwsie woyu will only see the main package option.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk