3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 7:27 PM by MarXtar

SW distribution problem

Rookie

Dear All:

When I used a task to distributed a software, I met a problem. The detail is :

I create a Policy-supported push method, and add a client to this task. the task schedule is repeat every Hour, and I open Display progress to user & allow the user to delay running the package function.

The problem is the progress dialog box be shown every hour, I want to know why the installation be repeated again, again again.....

The config was attached.

Thanks

• 1. Re: SW distribution problem
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... because you told the task to re-start every hour.

You're doing something that's rather pointless - You either do a scheduled task which restarts every hour OR you leave it per default and leave it as a push-once and let it turn into a policy for devices that were off at the time.

Or you do a policy / policy supported push and "leave it as is". There's not point to having it be a policy if you re-start it every hour (since it will start as a push).

What exactly are you trying to acheive - maybe let's start with that?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: SW distribution problem
            Rookie

Thank you for your help.

But in our company, some software was not be deployed to every client at the first time. When the user need to install a softwre, he need to take a IT application vis a IT application tools, then I add the client hostname to the software task, if I don't start this task, the software isn't be deploy to the client, so I need to re-start the  task every hour.

• 3. Re: SW distribution problem
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

This isn't the way LANDesk is designed to work.  If you really want to do this, don't set it to restart like this, instead, delete completed machines, add the new one, and then schedule the task again so that you don't re-target completed machines.

The way to do this properly is to set it as a policy, and since you are receiving a request anyway, add the machine and respond to the user asking them to now access the software deployment portal on their machine to install it whenever they are ready.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk