4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2016 9:52 AM by phoffmann

Is there are method to auto delete the Task generated by Workspace software pushes?

jtsanchez Rookie

Currently my Helpdesk team uses Workspaces to assist the users in the company in terms of pulling the users up to find their PC information, initiate remote assistance, and to deploy the packages that I have built for them to use. However I am noticing that for every machine they push a package it creates a new separate task that I have to clean up every so often to keep the management console's public task from looking like a made house. Is there a way to have those task clean themselves up once they have completed or on a schedule or really any other way that doesn't require someone to manually delete them?

• 1. Re: Is there are method to auto delete the Task generated by Workspace software pushes?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Short answer - "yes - there is".

Longer answer - "It might require some work". Also - what version are you currently on (this isn't related to 'can you do it' but may give you alternative approaches and such)?

Do you have any scripting experience / expertise? Respectively - if you don't - do you have access to a friendly colleague / team who does?

There's this thing called the MBSDK (Message Based SDK) - which includes a bunch of www-services / www-calls to automate a variety of functions. This includes but isn't limited to the following sorts of things:

- Add device X to task Y

- Remove device X from task Y

- Delete device X from inventory

- Create Scheduled task X

- Delete scheduled task X

... and so on.

If you're not afraid of a little bit of scripting (I will try to post a community article with examples around this sort of thing in the next few days, as it happens, which will include examples), then this isn't a big deal.

Essentially, you'd need some "logic" to identify which task(s) you want deleted (a bit of SQL to give you the relevant task identifiers) ... and then feed that "list of tasks to be deleted" to the "delete task X" www-service call.

It's about 2-3 lines of script overall, if you're not doing anything fancy - and you can use Powershell / VB / Python ... anything really that is capable of talking to a www-service (which I doubt a .BAT would be able to, since some authentication would be needed).

So depending on your access-level to "someone who can script" or even "someone who's brave enough to learn it" (and it's certainly something I'd recommend ensuring your team has expertise in), it's quite doable .

Does that help you to begin with? (I know I've not listed the 'nitty gritty' HOW here - at the moment I am just after establishing what's doable for you. I'll try to include a link to the community article I'm hoping to write up in the coming days around the MBSDK as a basic "how to" thing here if I can remember).

Hope that helps.

Regards,

- Paul Hoffmann

• 2. Re: Is there are method to auto delete the Task generated by Workspace software pushes?
            jtsanchez Rookie

I was hoping that there was something already built in that I was over looking but from the sounds of it it's another item that requires a community work around lol. Currently we are on LDMS 9.60.2.48. I'm not afraid to do a small bit of scripting. I do all our packaging now primarily with Batch, Powershell and VB. I'm not very experienced in SQL, however I have a team in the department that only work in it so I should be ok once you have a chance to post your article. I appreciate you sharing. I'm not sure if this will make our project list since the only users impacted are me, myself and I as the single owner of LANDesk in our company but maybe I'll get lucky and management will throw me a bone.

• 3. Re: Is there are method to auto delete the Task generated by Workspace software pushes?

I've not had time to scribble up the MBSDK article - once I have, I'll link it up in here.

I'll try to give you some pointers as well around where / how to get started with the SQL stuff that you're looking for (if you can script VB / Poweshell, SQL isn't going to be a world apart - it's more about understanding its quirks).

Awesome reference site that I keep using for SQL (as no one who doesn't use it all the time will know all the syntax all the time):

- http://w3schools.com/sql/

• 4. Re: Is there are method to auto delete the Task generated by Workspace software pushes?

OK - got the article written up. It'll be available under this link ==> Getting Started with the MBSDK (Example Scripts Included) ... it's just awaiting final approval before going public (which should be fine), so hopefully sometime in the next 24 hours.

At least you can save / bookmark the link for & check on it every other day .

That should hopefully be plenty to get you started (feedback on the article is also appreciated - always looking to improve).