3 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 9:06 AM by cachilli

A number of devices losing TE license information so have to be manually added again

Rookie

Afternoon,

I am having a number of issues at the moment with one of our customers who have Zebra / Motorola MC3190-S and MC9090-S units.  As these are not pre-licensed units, we have to manually add a license to each unit.

The problem we are having is that on numerous occasions after the devices have been used for some time, the unit is booted up into Telnet and the user gets the pop up message stating Demo, Add License or Cancel.  It is basically that the device is no longer licensed.

We are unable to understand what could be causing this and drawing a blank at the moment as to why this is happening.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as the customer is getting quite agitated now as we need to give them an answer to this problem.

Many thanks,

Ash

• 1. Re: A number of devices losing TE license information so have to be manually added again
          Ivan.G Apprentice

First off all  I  don´t have those models   but four years ago    I had a similar problem with other devices.

My issue  was that the customer had the same license on several terminals.    Add manually the license has the possibility a human error.

When the emulator  start scan the LAN  and detect if this license are being used for another device.    If it´s detected  the emulator removed the license from device  ,

Before  this action   in device's screen showed an informational message with the text of license duplicated .

My solution was  install a  Wtelnet  license server (freeware) to manage those licenses. 

When the issue appears the devices automatically contact with the license server  and they acquire the licenses automatically.     For the customer  is transparent.

Try it   it´s very easy to install and configure  and you wont  have  more headaches.

How to set up the Emulation License Server

I hope It helps you 

• 2. Re: A number of devices losing TE license information so have to be manually added again
            Rookie

Afternoon Ivan,

Many thanks for you message, much appreciated.

We have had a situation where the same license was added onto more than one device previously and we believed we had rectified that problem.  The issue we have is that these devices are on a managed service contract so they are swapped out as and when a unit goes faulty.  A replacement device is sent to the site with the identical TE license information and the damaged unit is taken off site.  Both devices are not powered on during this time.

The users are not reporting seeing any pop up messages about duplicate licenses on the devices.  They only report that the units are booted up and when Telnet starts up, when they press enter they are presented with the pop up asking for a new license.

It is only a small number of units but I am just wondering if there are any other possibilities other than duplicate licensed devices that could potentially cause this to happen.

Kind regards,

Ash

• 3. Re: A number of devices losing TE license information so have to be manually added again
              cachilli SupportEmployee

You should contact the re-seller or company maintaining your licenses and explain the issue to them.