4 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2016 7:34 AM by MarXtar

Pushing 'Bundle' Fails or Stuck on 'Task will continue after reboot'

kbeattie Apprentice

Platform: LDMS 6.9 SP2 with CP 2016-0419

We tired pushing out a "bundle" which resulted in the system wanting to reboot after each of it's 3 componenet packages ran:

• First, Batch package: kill_explore.cmd
      • Second, Executable package: jre-8u74-windows-i586.exe /s
      • Third, Batch package: update_group_policy.cmd

Note, the system we were deploying to is setup with reboot settings that allow for an automatic reboot once a week on Saturday around 8 PM.

What I don't understand is why was the task stuck on "task will continue after reboot" -- When I look at the task log, it seems as if the package is flipping the flag to signal that the system needs to reboot... after EACH step in the bundle.  I looked in the task settings as well as the settings for the bundle and each package.  The only thing that stands out to me, is the option of "reboot expected" but in this case, nothing in the bundle should require a reboot and it is undesired.

Here is a snippet from the task log:

Wed, 04 May 2016 12:24:41 Launched application 'C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\packages\Genapps\Java\jre-8u74-windows-i586.exe' ('/s') result 0

Wed, 04 May 2016 12:24:41 Installation result DB50000

Wed, 04 May 2016 12:24:41 Rebooting system if needed

Wed, 04 May 2016 12:24:53 processing of package is complete, result 229965824 (0x0db50000 - code 0)

What gives?  I don't get this at all.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is it normal?  Please help.

• 1. Re: Pushing 'Bundle' Fails or Stuck on 'Task will continue after reboot'
          wcoffey SupportEmployee

Hi Kevin,

Can you check the following registry entries on the client to see where the reboot is coming from and also check the task manager for the existence of ldreboot.exe :

1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager] 
          2. "PendingFileRenameOperations" 

• Vulscan Reboot Registry Key

1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\landesk\managementsuite\WinClient\VulscanReboot ] 
          • 2. Re: Pushing 'Bundle' Fails or Stuck on 'Task will continue after reboot'
            kbeattie Apprentice

From the context of deploying some apps, this is a huge fail.  Those keys are managed by LANDESK, is it not?

Tell me then, why do I have to factor in pending reboots from previous patching or other actions if I'm just trying to install Java?  Of which, none of the install actions I'm taking require a reboot.

• 3. Re: Pushing 'Bundle' Fails or Stuck on 'Task will continue after reboot'
              JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

Kevin,

The PendingFileRenameOperations is a reboot regkey that many companies use, I used it to track SEP and SEP looked for this before installing its products. Usually if you first command in your batch has the removal of this regkey then things seem to work.

On your jre executable add REBOOT=0

• 4. Re: Pushing 'Bundle' Fails or Stuck on 'Task will continue after reboot'
                MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kevin,

In the situation you are describing, LANDESK is 'acting dumb'. Let me clarify.

LANDESK simply knows that 'something' is going to be updated following a reboot. It does not know what that is and as it doesn't know exactly what files the package/patch it is sending updates it also cannot make a decision about whether a reboot is needed or not for whatever it is sending now.

LANDESK is erring on the side of caution. If it simply went ahead and installed regardless of anything in that key (which is not owned by LANDESK) then there is the potential that something in there would overwrite/delete an important file in the current package. An example can be seen in the LANDESK agent (not tested this for a while so may not be accurate today). A machine with the agent can have the agent uninstall using uninstallwinclient. This 'should' force a reboot but it can be suppressed (assume we did this). If we install the agent again then everything looks good. If we then reboot the agent is broken. This is because some files were in use at the time of the agent being uninstalled so marked for deletion after the reboot. The agent install didn't know this so went ahead anyway. After the reboot those 'in use' files got deleted breaking the agent we just laid down.

With this in mind, LANDESK allows an option to ignore pending reboots in patching with the install/remove option of 'start repair even if reboot is already pending'. This is in your Distribution & Patch settings. Be careful using this. You therefore have the choice t take the risk, it is simply not the default of LANDESK to take that risk without you deciding to first.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://landeskone.marxtar.co.uk

LANDESK One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for LANDESK to Better Understand and Manage your Assets