5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2016 9:39 AM by rawman

Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016

rawman Apprentice

Hi,

I just set up a new instance of Managment Suite 2016 with the database running SQL Server 2014.

I am trying to set up the Data Connection in Service Desk 2016.1, and I'm running into a problem -

I can set up the Data Connection and it validates the connection successfully.

Data_Connection.png

But when I try to set up a new Data Connection Type, I click on the Available Attributes (Collection) and do not see anything in the lefthand column:

Avail_Attributes.png

If I set up a Generic Data Source connection to the Management Suite Database, I can successfully pull some attributes though the Data Import.  Has anyone else run into this?

• 1. Re: Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016
          JulianWigman Expert

Yes.  If you use the LDMS connector in Data Connections then it requires that you have the LDMS Remote Console (same version as core server) also installed on that Server/Client as well.    Install this and then the data will populate in the leftmost column.

• 2. Re: Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016
            John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Rawman,

Have you installed the ManagementSuite console on the Application Server for ServiceDesk?  You need to have the remote console installed and then run the ServiceDesk.Integration.exe which is in the Program Files (x86)LANDESK\Service Desk\Console directory.

SDIntegration.PNG

Let us know if that works.

Thanks

John

• 3. Re: Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016
              rawman Apprentice

I've come up with a temporary manual import workaround, figured this may help someone else in the same situation. I haven't figured out a better way to automate this to run 1x/day yet -

1. In LANDesk Management Suite, I created a query to identify my target devices, and added the attributes to the query which I wanted to import to Service Desk:

Workstation Export.png

2. I then Exported the Query results to CSV:

Export_CSV.png

3. I opened the resulting .CSV file in Microsoft Excel, and saved the file in native Excel (.xlsx) format.

4. I copied the .xlsx file to a folder on my Service Desk application server, and launched Console (32 bit).

5. Created new Data Connection (Excel 07).  New Connection Type with all the attributes set to -1 length other than dates (left at '0').

6. Created new Data Import, mapped the Data Connection attributes to the appropriate fields in Configuration Management - Workstation.

What would make this process better:

1.  LANDesk Management Suite queries - Export to .XLSX (Service Desk doesn't support .CSV data source?)

2.  LANDesk Management Suite automatic report generated off of this query (XLSX not an option; only XLS and file name generated/updated by automatic action anyway).

• 4. Re: Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016
                JulianWigman Expert

Going via excel was always going to work but as both JSR and I suggested, if you install the LDMS remote console on that machine then the LDMS connection will also work.

• 5. Re: Cannot set up Data Connection to Management Suite 2016
                  rawman Apprentice

You are correct - I somehow forgot to run "LANDesk.ServiceDesk.Integration.exe" (in c:\Program Files (x86)\LANDESK\Service Desk\Console) after installing the Management Suite Remote Console on the app server.  After I ran the executable, I was able to create the native LDMS Data Connection.

Thanks!