6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2008 7:49 AM by sjaggers

Secure PXE Rep Issue

Rookie

Hi all,

I recently deployed a secure PXE rep to a site and the password will not work. It worked fine previously. The password was being entered properly so I deleted the secure PXE script and recreated it. I redeployed the machine and I still have the same problem. It appears that something is corrupt. Any ideas on what to check or how to fix it? I am running 8.7 sp5.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
          Rookie

I contacted support on this issue. The secure PXE rep script on the core server is adding a comma in the password line and is keeping the correct password from being generated. A fix is being looked at.

• 2. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

For anyone else affected by this issue, the reference number to quote is CR # 16531.

Thanks for updating the thread Steve :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

So the work arounds can be pretty easy.

There is a configuration file on the PXE Representative for each boot option that is a file called default:

c:\program files\landesk\pxe\system\images\x86pc\undi\wpemenu\pxelinux.cfg\default

c:\program files\landesk\pxe\system\images\x86pc\undi\winpe\pxelinux.cfg\default

...other folders have it too...

Inside the default file is where the password exists.  Since our process is breaking you can update that file to have the correct password.

So for example the file with the problem looks like this.

DEFAULT menu.c32
              PROMPT 0
              ALLOWOPTIONS 0

LABEL WinPE
                   MENU LABEL LANDesk(R) Managed WinPE
                   MENU PASSWD "
                   KERNEL startrom.0

Because of the LANDesk script is screwed up, the password above was not set.  Instead, a quote was entered.  The quote character is actually the password when it should be whatever was configured in the Console when creating the Secure PXE Rep script.

You can manually modify the text file:

DEFAULT menu.c32
              PROMPT 0
              ALLOWOPTIONS 0

LABEL WinPE
                   MENU LABEL LANDesk(R) Managed WinPE
                   MENU PASSWD [email protected]!
                   KERNEL startrom.0

Now the password would be [email protected]!.

Updating only one default file is not enough though, you have to update all the default files on a PXE Rep.

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\bootmenu\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\dosundi\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\linuxpe\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\lxpemenu\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\provlinux\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\provwin\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\winpe\pxelinux.cfg\default

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\wpemenu\pxelinux.cfg\default

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
                Rookie

And to add to that I have about 165+ locations with PXE reps. 

• 5. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - it shouldn't be too hard to create the new files, and then batch their replacement - you can then just send it out as a soft-dist task. Far better than repeating it 165 times :).

Or wait 'til we have the patch, but it's down to you what is more urgent for you in the end

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 6. Re: Secure PXE Rep Issue
                    Rookie

Thanks for the workaround. Before I got a chance to use it I thought that I would reboot the server. Then I deleted the script and recreated it. The script rebuilt fine after a reboot. Prior to that I had deleted/rebuilt it several times and it would be corrupt.