3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2016 1:33 AM by phoffmann

Can you capture an image without going into Audit mode?

Apprentice

We have lots of old computers running windows 7 that need updating. I cant put windows 8.1 on it, so my plan is to clean them up, update all software and capture the image and deploy it to the rest of the computers. (I also have some laptops which i want to upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 and do the same thing). Will this be possible or do i need to do a clean install and then capture it in audit mode as i usually do?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Can you capture an image without going into Audit mode?
          Apprentice

Yes you can, you just have to run sysprep and capture it like normal.

• 2. Re: Can you capture an image without going into Audit mode?
            Apprentice

The computer is already connected to the domain and the landesk agent is installed. Do i first need to remove it from the domain and does it matter that the agent is already installed?

• 3. Re: Can you capture an image without going into Audit mode?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Couple of tips around capturing an image can be found here by the way:

- [Tech Brief On-Demand Webinar 2016] Provisioning with LANDESK Management Suite

Quick answers:

• Do you need to remove the device from the domain? You shouldn't have to (Sysprep should take care of that), but since that's not a 100% process, I always advise to take the box you're going to image out of the domain anyway (I've got several references to this specific problem & how to try to resolve it in the presentation).

• Do you need to remove the LANDesk Agent?Short answer is ... "Yes - that would be better".
                Longer answer is "you can NOT do that - but chances are it'll bite you in the behind sooner or later". 1/2 a / 1 year from now, when you're on a different version, an older 9.6 agent may not be able to talk to your newer Core. Older binaries may have defects / differences associated with them that a newer Core doesn't want to deal with ... it's by and large, never really worth the pain.

"In theory" you'd need to delete the Unique ID registry entries for the device in these places:

• HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\INTEL\LANDesk\CommonApi\
              • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\LANDesk\CommonApi\

... but - due to reasons above (and many more) - it's just easier having a clean image.

IMPORTANT NOTE -- if you're just going to run the LANDesk uninstaller, we'll *KEEP* the UniqueID registry keys (as the uninstaller gets run as part of the upgrade - and we want to keep the unique ID reference for a device across version upgrades). So after uninstalling & rebooting, make sure to go into the registry & clear out the "UniqueID" fields (both of them)!

<Ideally, you may want to use this opportunity & the materials from the Momentum presentation to potentially start with a fresh image after going through a few key decisions for your org?>

Hope that helps?