3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2016 2:51 AM by phoffmann

To know the inactive computer list

Rookie

Hi All,

Do we have any provision in landesk to know the computer accounts which are not active in landesk for a long period ( For example : Computers inactive in network for 30 days ? ) . Please help me on this.

Regards,

Saravanan. M

• 1. Re: To know the inactive computer list
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

By "computer accounts" do you mean "user names"? Or do you mean "devices"?

If you're talking about devices - then that's fairly easy. You can just run a query on devices that haven't sent a scan in / haven't been updated by the inventory server in X days. So if you want to say "Show me the devices that haven't been updated by inventory in > 30 days" then you can build a simple LD query to do it as follows:

"COMPUTER"."Last Updated by Inventory Server" > "GetDate()-30"

(As an aside, I'd STRONGLY advise using a value of at least 45 days, probably more like 90)

If you're looking for inactive *USERS* - that's a fair bit more complicated.

A more precise description would help here .

• 2. Re: To know the inactive computer list
            Rookie

Hi ,

Thanks for your response !!

I wanted to check the Computer accounts only and not the User accounts

Hope we can use this querly only for the computers which are reported to Landesk Core once and not for the unmanaged devices.

I wanted to know the inactive computers in my domain ( even the machine is not deployed with landesk Agent)

Regards,

Saravanan.M

• 3. Re: To know the inactive computer list
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Bit confused about what appears to be 2 conflicting statements.

Hope we can use this querly only for the computers which are reported to Landesk Core once and not for the unmanaged devices.

- vs -

I wanted to know the inactive computers in my domain ( even the machine is not deployed with landesk Agent)

So if you want to run the report against stuff that's "reporting to the Core" - that's easy. You can just use the "Last Updated By Inventory Server" value for that.

It gets a bit tricky to know inactive devices in your domain if they DON'T have a LANDesk agent installed though. You can report the last time that an unmanaged device was spotted on your network - but if you're not using unmanaged device discovery, then "we don't know what we can't know". The two statements seem to be conflicting - so a bit more of a clarification would be helpful.

You *COULD* also check into poking active directory (which obviously assumes that "all" devices on your network are talking to a DC - which may or may not be the case). As per the screenshot below:

AD-DeviceInfo.jpg

Since that information exists for AD objects, you can query AD for those timestamps for instance. Something like PowerShell (I assume) could automate that for you. Again, the limitation is that this would be down to devices that are part of your AD. That may / may not cover stuff in addition to what you have in LANDesk already, but it's an additional source of information for the sort of thing you're after.

AD and LANDesk Core / XDD / Unamanged Device Discovery tech aside, there's not really many other ways to make sense of that. Unless you've got some sort of asset tracking & managed switches ... you could monitor for MAC-addresses that are "live" on the switches and resolve them against LANDesk / your asset management tool ... that's about the last thing that I can think of at this point.