5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 7:58 AM by cjensen

Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings

Cyril.DORCY Apprentice

Hi,

I would like to authenticate users by CAS :https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Authentication_Service

In Xtraction Settings, I've defined a custom provider.

And then ? What I have to do ? IIS Application Pool ?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings
          cjensen SupportEmployee

Hi Cyril.DORCY,

I'm currently looking into this. I will report back once I have some definitive information on how this will work with Xtraction.

Thanks,

Channing

• 2. Re: Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings
            GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Hello Cyril.DORCY,

I sounds like, from your description, you have progressed as far as you can without a little bit of coding.

For a custom authentication scheme (one not already supported by Xtraction out of the box), it will require a little bit of coding.  CAS Authentication, like our existing Windows Authentication, would be a separate little IIS web app that would do whatever it needed to do to authenticate the user via CAS and then pass the information back to Xtraction.  There is a defined process for how the authentication app will be called by Xtraction and how it is supposed to communicate its results back to Xtraction after the authentication has succeeded or failed.  When we enhanced our authentication framework a few years ago, this very functionality was one of the goals.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that the process for creating one of those apps was ever documented for customers to create their own provider.  Hopefully, Channing's prompting will lead to this documentation.

Thanks,

Gregg

• 3. Re: Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings
              Cyril.DORCY Apprentice

Hello,

We already have the CAS Web App.

So we just need to know how this authentication app should be called by Xtraction and how it is supposed to communicate its results back to Xtraction after the authentication has succeeded or failed.

So, now, waiting for you

Thanks,

Cyril.

• 4. Re: Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings
                GreggSmith SupportEmployee

Hi Cyril,

I am not one of the developers, but based on my understanding of how the authentication works, what is needed is an Xtraction CAS web app that acts as a middle-man between the CAS web app you mentioned and the Xtraction application.  This is the piece that I mentioned in my previous post that would have to be created.  It will contain the logic for correctly communicating with the CAS app and then back to the Xtraction application.

In other words, there will be coding involved - it is not just a matter of configuration changes.

Let's see what Channing gets back from development.

Thanks,

Gregg

• 5. Re: Xtraction Custom Authentication Settings
                  cjensen SupportEmployee

Hi Cyril,

Thank you for your patience while I looked further into this on my end. After discussing this in detail with our product management team and our development team, the CAS authentication is not a type of authentication that can be implemented out of the box. As Gregg eluded to in his post, this type of authentication will involve coding and cannot be manipulated within the current configuration. That being said, we are open to looking into way to implement it in the future. In order for us to do this, we would like to have this submitted as an enhancement request using the following link:

Xtraction - ER

I would also be happy to submit one on your behalf if you wish, please just let me know.

Thanks,

Channing