4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 12:46 PM by talk2neeraj2k7

Repair Task Options

Apprentice

Hi Everyone !

Can someone guide me on this.

1) What exactly this options is for "Ignore subsequent requests on successfully targeted clients", is it to prevent somebody running a task again on a device if is being already running? I am not sure, could you please elaborate that in what kind of situation it makes sense to use this option. Example use cases would be better.

8.PNG

2) What is the difference between Task settings >> Frequency (highlighted in above screenshot) and Schedule task >> Repeat every (Highlighted in below screenshot), could you please elaborate that in what kind of situation it makes sense to use this option. Example use cases would be better.

88.PNG

Thank you,

• 1. Re: Repair Task Options
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Re: question 1

This is an option of the "Once you've installed successfully once, don't target me again!" variety.

Usually useful if you have really touchy / sensitive apps/installers where "the first install is fine", but if the installer were to (re-)run a 2nd or more time, then it'll nuke the entire application into oblivion.

USUALLY a useful thing to make use of with scripts for instance (as most installers these days aren't too stupid), as scripts don't always / often check for a case of "have I run already, and is it a good idea".

It's a safeguard that's "good to have" that allows for slighly lazier scripting (though It's still good sense & manners in writing one's scripts properly) and/or sensitive apps most often. I've not had to use that one in anger for a while now, but I'd rather "have and not need".

-----------------------

Re: question 2

This is mostly for "weird" stuff that 'must' be re-run on a daily (or hourly) basis. Most often (and by that I mean - "pretty rarely") I've seen this being needed for some AV installer / update mechanic. So if you want to update your AV signatures on a daily basis (for instance), by re-running the same policy as opposed to a local scheduler task, then this option is useful.

It doesn't see heavy use, but it has its uses.

Hope that helps?

• 2. Re: Repair Task Options
            carlos Expert
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Repair Task Options
              Apprentice

Thank you phoffmann, got it, usage of these options are very rare but now they do make sense.

• 4. Re: Repair Task Options
                Apprentice

Thank you carlos, for pointing to the link, So now it's clear to me Frequency sets into local scheduler and Repeat option is going to start it in core server. Good info !