1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2016 3:00 AM by phoffmann

Deploy BIOS/UEFI Updates for Lenovo PCs

mwiese Rookie

I am looking for advice to deploy a BIOS/UEFI update for Lenovo laptop computers using LANDesk Management Suite 9.6 SP2.

We recently did an aggressive deployment of Lenovo ThinkPad T460 notebook PCs only to realize that the BIOS needed to be updated (Power issues related to sleep mode).  Lenovo released a new BIOS update to resolve the issue and I have tested the BIOS update to prove that it works.  Being relatively new to LANDesk I need to quickly find out how to update the BIOS to the already deployed PCs.  Is there an easy way to push the new BIOS to the already deployed PCs without user intervention?

• 1. Re: Deploy BIOS/UEFI Updates for Lenovo PCs
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

In principle, that's no different to any software package - the principles are the same.

• You need to read up / find out how to get the installer (/package) to install automatically. You might've come across the concept of answer files / "transforms" files for MSI's for instance. For BIOS update packages, I'd usually expect this to come in the form of command-line parameters. This is sort of the point where you're at the mercy of the software vendor's documentation / support -- sometimes that documentation isn't public for a reason or another (often to safeguard those end-users we all love from making your life needlessly painful), and needs to be requested through contact to the relevant support folks.

• You then need to configure the package accordingly. Depending on what sorts of hoops the package makes you jump through, this will be different. If - as expected - it should be "just" a case of a few command-line parameters, then you'd do this in the following part of your package (here's an example of a quick "silent install" of a MSI-based 7zip installer):

7zip_Quiet.jpg

• ... and the rest comes down to testing & working around "peculiarities" of the relevant package / installer.

A couple of things to help you along:

• Some installs / installers are just flat out moronic. You may find that it is in fact easier to re-package them (hint: Having a professional (re-)packaging person is REALLY something all organisations should get access to). You might even have to come up with entire wrapper scripts to deal with some peculiar nonsense at times (if you don't know how to script, show this to your boss - you'll need it sooner or later, likely sooner). Scripts are one of the most common & useful tools to help you along in any management software product.
          • User context *MATTERS*. A lot!
          • In addition to the above - be aware that "Local System" is not 100% equal to "local admin". The occasional software package REQUIRES full on local admin rights (and after years of trying to get the information out of Microsoft I've still no idea what it is that Local System doesn't get/have) and won't install properly with "just" local system. That's not a problem - we allow you to configure a user-context to install stuff as - just something for you to be aware of.
          • That said - Local System doesn't usually run into problems with UAC (if you use it) ... other users may not be so lucky. "Yay"... 

• Keep software installs as GUI-free / silent / "non-user interactable" as possible ... the capacity of some end-users to break anything that pops up on the screen (such as hard-powering down a machine during a copy job) is endless.

Hope that helps you a bit? It's "general advice" rather than specific to this one (I've not pushed out Lenovo updates in a while), but it's all pretty applicable.