If it works "in principle" (as per your 1 driver test) it shouldn't be a general thing.
So there's a couple of things you can try - you can reach out to support & ask them to send you a service update for LD 2016. At a quick glance, nothing like what you're describing was reported/fixed, but you never know. The HII stuff had some things around INF-files fixed, but that's about it.
How big is the share that you're point to? I'm just wondering if there's a situation where we're trying to enumerate some 500 peta-bytes (yes, being dramatic here ) because of some weird recursive file-system issues (I've seen some weird stuff in my time with file-systems pulling some weird stunts). Not saying your driver directories are borked, just pointing out that we could be the symptom rather than direct cause.
Could be that something like a process-based AV scanner is causing you grief (crash course version - "process level scanning" means "I touch EVERY file a process tries to touch", which can cause huge issues with certain types of "touch happy" processes), for instance?
You can enable debug logging as per the following too btw:
- For the Windows Console - How To: Enable Extra Logging for the Windows Console
- For "the rest of LANDesk" - How to enable Xtrace Diagnostic Logging
... enabling both could help pick up useful information from our side potentially.
Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for your response! When I say my 1 device works, I mean the driver is compatible because I can manually install it on the laptop without using Landesk... I have yet to be able to assign anything in Landesk, and it doesn't seem to automatically detect and assign either. My driver store was about 16 GB, but I have taken almost everything out for testing purposes leaving only 2 models in the store: one was from a cab we got from the vendor website, and the other was a copy of the driver store from one of the machines that we took off before attempting to provision. So right now out Store is 3.3 GB and I am trying to build the database (I also renamed the database and index files so it started fresh). It's been going for a good half hour now and looks to be roughly 15% complete.
So I think I found the issue - our LANDesk server is in a different city than our driver store, so I believe it was simply the lack of bandwidth causing the issue. When attempting to rebuild the store using the LANDesk Management Console on a local computer in the same physical location as our driver store, I was able to rebuild it within about 20 minutes.
Yes - that would make logically a fair bit of sense.
I was assuming (incorrectly) that you held the drivers locally.
The idea with that sort of affair is that you want to keep the drivers near/local to the Core - and then use Replication / Preferred Servers & such things to distribute the drivers around so as to go easy on the WAN.