4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2016 7:01 AM by phoffmann

I am unable to rebuild our driver store

Dubois-King Apprentice

Disclaimer: I am new to Landesk, so this whole thing might be the result of me doing everything wrong.  Anyways, my company recently upgraded from Landesk 9.6 to Landesk 2016, and now I can't seem to rebuild our driver store, or assign drivers.  When I tell it to rebuild the driver store, it literally takes hours, and the green progress bar gets to what looks like 100%, and then never goes away.  I have let this run for about 17 hours, and it still sits at 100%.  So I figured, maybe I can safely close out of the window... well then Landesk pretty much freezes up, and I have to force close it and reopen it.  I go in to the Driver Store and try to assign drivers but I can't seem to get anything to assign.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I have been trying to assign a simple network driver for a particular model laptop that I know works (I have manually installed it on this model laptop), but it just will not work, and I suspect my Driver Store isn't rebuilding properly.  Has anyone else had any issues with this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: I am unable to rebuild our driver store
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

If it works "in principle" (as per your 1 driver test) it shouldn't be a general thing.

So there's a couple of things you can try - you can reach out to support & ask them to send you a service update for LD 2016. At a quick glance, nothing like what you're describing was reported/fixed, but you never know. The HII stuff had some things around INF-files fixed, but that's about it.

How big is the share that you're point to? I'm just wondering if there's a situation where we're trying to enumerate some 500 peta-bytes (yes, being dramatic here ) because of some weird recursive file-system issues (I've seen some weird stuff in my time with file-systems pulling some weird stunts). Not saying your driver directories are borked, just pointing out that we could be the symptom rather than direct cause.

Could be that something like a process-based AV scanner is causing you grief (crash course version - "process level scanning" means "I touch EVERY file a process tries to touch", which can cause huge issues with certain types of "touch happy" processes), for instance?

You can enable debug logging as per the following too btw:

... enabling both could help pick up useful information from our side potentially.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 2. Re: I am unable to rebuild our driver store
            Dubois-King Apprentice

Thanks for your response!  When I say my 1 device works, I mean the driver is compatible because I can manually install it on the laptop without using Landesk... I have yet to be able to assign anything in Landesk, and it doesn't seem to automatically detect and assign either.  My driver store was about 16 GB, but I have taken almost everything out for testing purposes leaving only 2 models in the store: one was from a cab we got from the vendor website, and the other was a copy of the driver store from one of the machines that we took off before attempting to provision.  So right now out Store is 3.3 GB and I am trying to build the database (I also renamed the database and index files so it started fresh).  It's been going for a good half hour now and looks to be roughly 15% complete.

• 3. Re: I am unable to rebuild our driver store
              Dubois-King Apprentice

So I think I found the issue - our LANDesk server is in a different city than our driver store, so I believe it was simply the lack of bandwidth causing the issue.  When attempting to rebuild the store using the LANDesk Management Console on a local computer in the same physical location as our driver store, I was able to rebuild it within about 20 minutes.

• 4. Re: I am unable to rebuild our driver store
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yes - that would make logically a fair bit of sense.

I was assuming (incorrectly) that you held the drivers locally.

The idea with that sort of affair is that you want to keep the drivers near/local to the Core - and then use Replication / Preferred Servers & such things to distribute the drivers around so as to go easy on the WAN.