4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2008 3:54 AM by Johann

Cloned Systems deleting each other from LANDesk DB

Johann Apprentice

Hello,

today I realized a strage phenomenon, I cloned a complete Harddisk (not with LANDesks imagew) and transferred it to another system with exact the same hardware.

Worked fine so far. But when I looked into the Divicelist of LANDesk, one of the systems was missing.

Did someone had the same behaviour? What is the Reason for that?

Kind regards, Jo

• 1. Re: Cloned Systems deleting each other from LANDesk DB
          pk Employee

Did you delete the GUID from the registry?  If the agent is installed in the cloned image and you didn't take this step, they will overwrite each other in the DB.  If you find this to be the case there are two remedies:

1)  Reclone after deleting the GUID (there are two entries in the Registry both called "Common API".  Cloned machines will generate a unique GUID when the inventory scanner first runs.

2)  Configure Duplicate Device ID dection under Configure .... Services on your Core (inventory tab).  Don't use more than two Identity Attributes if you go this route ... Computer.Device.Name and Computer.network.NIC.Address usually work well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cloned Systems deleting each other from LANDesk DB
            Johann Apprentice

Thanks for your help. I didn't remove the two registry entries before cloning the harddrive. Thats the mistake.

Is it possible to remove the registry-entries and make an inventory scan to generate a new GUID? I don't really want to make a whole image of this machine again after deleting the GUID.

• 3. Re: Cloned Systems deleting each other from LANDesk DB
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yes it is.

The keys are in two places:

1 - HKLM\SOFTWARE\INTEL\LANDesk\Common API\UniqueID

2 - HKLM\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Common API\UniqueID

Running an inventory scan with those deleted will generate a new one.

You should - equally - turn on duplicate device detection on the Core (since that's what this feature is for).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: Cloned Systems deleting each other from LANDesk DB
                Johann Apprentice

Thanks to both of you for your help!