6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2016 7:07 AM by Jharris3400

error trying to install 9.6 sp2

Apprentice

Environment:  A cleanly installed Windows 2012 R2 server, member server in a single AD domain, dedicated server, running cleanly-installed LDMS 9.6 and nothing else but the prerequisites for LDMS 9.6, i.e. IIS and Dot NET 3.5.

I have tried several times to install 9.6 sp2: process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.  I have tried rebooting and then running the installation, and I have tried stopping all LDMS services and killing all processes related to LDMS.  None of these procedures has helped.  Using a SQL Server database - clean database. no agents pushed out yet.  I will look for instructions to see if there is something I missed.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer a helpful suggestion.

Best,

Fluxy B

• 1. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
          Jharris3400 Apprentice

Did you install IIS before the Landesk install? If so, I would have recommended letting the Landesk install do that for you. Before you run the setup, did you unblock the install? (right click properties of the Landesk install folder, at the bottom check unblock. Are you having the DB reside on the server asl well, if so what is your projected node count?

• 2. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
            Apprentice

The DB is on a different server.  A SQL DB.  Small installation, < 150 nodes.  I did not install IIS before; I let the LANDesk install do the IIS installation.

The DLLs in use are Enuitran64.DLL and one or 2 other DLLs with almost the same file name.

I am not sure which log file to look in.  Still looking, might have to call it a day soon...

Thanks, I will find the log file and attach it..

• 3. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
              Jharris3400 Apprentice

This is an old link, but you get the idea. Worth a look .Log file locations by LANDesk component for 9.x

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
                Apprentice

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Console.inf: (0x00000020) Langs\enu\IMAGE\,,enuitran64.dll

Console.inf: (0x00000020) Langs\enu\IMAGE\,,enuitnmp64.dll

This is the path to the logs:

C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\Install\9.60\Log

There are a lot of different log files in there...

The one with the important part... this is at the end...

Pending file rename operations...

ERROR: UpdateComputers exiting with 2 Error(s)
                ERRORSUMMARY_BEGIN
                The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Console.inf: (0x00000020) Langs\enu\IMAGE\,,enuitran64.dll

Console.inf: (0x00000020) Langs\enu\IMAGE\,,enuitnmp64.dll

ERRORSUMMARY_END
                Silent Reboot: A REBOOT is required.

Exiting with Return Code: 2

• 5. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
                  Apprentice

Well, it turned out to be the fact that I was logged in using remote desktop.  I live about 45 minutes from the office, so I work remotely a good bit, especially during times when end-users are not working.  I used a scheduled task to install it, and it worked.  I found out when I killed the process and it knocked me out of the remote session.  So... I think the answer is, turn off UAC (or move the slider to the bottom), and don't install when using remote desktop to access the server. 

• 6. Re: error trying to install 9.6 sp2
                    Jharris3400 Apprentice

You can install via RDP, but use mstsc/admin as stated below.

"When installing LANDESK software, it is recommended to not use Remote Desktop. If this is the only available method, please initiate the RDP session using "mstsc /admin". This generates a console session as opposed to a terminal session."

Best Known Methods for Installing LANDESK Management Suite 9.6 (with videos)