9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2008 2:57 AM by jary.busato

LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?

Rookie

I'm new in landesk, but bugs wich I have discovered should be fixed in beta, but not left for normal product.

I'm using oracle 9.2.0.8 database - the database configuration guide presented here is not correct as by selecting

Transaction processing template in databse creation process you have db_block_size=4096 which leads to this error:

ExecuteNonQuery error for sql: CREATE TABLE KEYVALUESTRINGARRAY
      (
      KEYVALUESTRINGARRAY_IDN INT NOT NULL    ,
      KEYVALUE_IDN INT NOT NULL    ,
      STRINGVALUE VARCHAR(4000)    ,
          CONSTRAINT XPKEYVALUESTRINGARRAY PRIMARY KEY (KEYVALUE_IDN, STRINGVALUE),

CONSTRAINT R_KEYVALUE FOREIGN KEY (KEYVALUE_IDN) REFERENCES KEYVALUE (KEYVALUE_IDN)
      )
      System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: ORA-01450: maximum key length (3118) exceeded

Secondly when you try to create new templates and select Partition action you can not save it as you get interesting error:

Cannot save changes to the template XXX

Verify that the template name you have chosen in not already used by another template.

Database error

And finally in the post installation group - Map drive acction there is no field for  password confirmation. 

• 1. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

If you find a defect, please raise it with support through a support-ticket, and we'll address it through the usual methods.

Thank you.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sp2 is out now so you could try that but if at all possible go to MS SQL just because the system will work far better with that than it will with Oracle.  Much simpler and lower maintenance.  You might be tempted to argue but put a poll on the community and see how many responses would recommend the use of Oracle.  This is not a LANDesk issue per-se as pretty much any product in this space deals with Oracle as a must-have checkbox item for those rare occassions where a potential customer makes Oracle support a requirement.  If you are small enough use the default database, if not please, please, please save yourself hassle and go for MS SQL if you can manage to do so.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 3. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?

Or to put it another way - if you do go and use Oracle, do make sure you've got a full Oracle DBA hired. You'll need him.

This is NOT the sort of software you just "go up and learn" over a weekend or so.

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
                Rookie

Thanks for recommendations, but our corporate policy is to use Oracle database as backed for all internal applications which we have here.

My assuption is that the problems lies not in the oracle, but in the Landesk itself. And Landesk says that their products supports oracle

- so it should work with it as is working with MS SQL (which in other had is not a gift either).

• 5. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?

Actually, the problem usually lies in one of two things.

1 - People don't follow instructions. I.e. - they decide to use character-sets or whatnot that end up causing problems. We write white papers for a reason.

2 - People don't know Oracle sufficiently. Oracle DB's NEED a dedicated, properly trained Oracle support head, who will look at the DB and tune it - this is usually the hardest task.

LANDesk works with Oracle just fine. The usual problems occur because of one of the above goes wrong.

If you have a dedicated Oracle DBA and you commit to investing his time to mantain the LANDesk DB, it'll be fine. If you cannot commit this, go SQL - SQL is FAR, far more forgiving and with SQL 2005 the tuning wizard is actually pretty good.

Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
                    Rookie

In my case the first and second senarios are not correct as:

1. I followed all instructons provided by landesk and not only once.

2. I know oracle quite well to setup and make proper configuratin is not more difficult than  ms sql ;)

The problem is that till now  there is no Oracle database setup instruction for LD8.8 (only for LD8.7), and here people are forced to improvise.

All databases just works fine if you correctly give for them insctructions what to do. I have working expierence with oracle, my sql, postgresql and with all of them I had not very much troubles.

Tomas

• 7. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Oracle supported by LANDesk = Yes

LANDesk optimised for Oracle = No

LANDesk alone in this market space for doing this = No

Reason for doing it = Numbers using Oracle large enough to warrant support but not to warrant full focus

Do you know Oracle = Yes

Do you have the time to do what is required to keep this running sweetly = Only you know

Are we trying to help = Oh Yes! Honestly.

How many times have I had this conversation = Too many times

How many times has Paul had to deal with this = I hesitate to guess but probably enough to be the stuff of nightmares

How often does corporate policy make a better decision than an informed commonsense decision = Too few to be worth mentioning

How many times have I seen an exception made to a previously unchangeable coporate policy = Enough times for me to retain hope

LANDesk will work on Oracle and given love and care will work very well on Oracle (some of the fastest systems i've seen have been on Oracle) however it is much harder work with than MS SQL.

Mark Star - MarXtar LANDesk Enhancements

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

Nuff said.

• 8. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?

Good summary Mark - did have me chuckle (and yes, I do warn rather readily of going with Oracle without thinking about it on account of having had to deal with far too many situations where the buck ended with me and I had to try and figure out how to fix things again) :).

Again, only you yourself can know whether you've got the needed Oracle resources in place. My (unfortunate) experience is that many don't (and don't quite know what they let themselves in for). This can be due to IT policies ("I was told to use it"), pricing (since whoever signs the cheques decides what gets more or less directly), and so on.

That said, yes, there HAVE been oracle-only problems (I don't seem to remember SQL-only defects at this poin) in the past, and it's always possible that there will be more. That said, I've got provisioning running fine in 8.8 on Oracle, hence -- if you've got a reproducable defect, log it with support with all the needed information (what we need to duplicate it) and we'll look at it from there.

The "problem" with some of those Oracle defects is that as long as it's "our fault" it's fine - we can do something about it. In some cases, we're only the symptom, and the bug is with Oracle ... in that case, we try to work together with them, but we are then pretty much entirely dependant upon them fixing it.

So - log your issue with support, give us good duplication information, and we'll look at it from there.

Thanks.

Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: LD 8.8 SP1 OS provisioning is a beta version or working product?
                          Apprentice

I had the same issues upgrading a customer installation to SP1.

I saw that something was wrong during provisioning schema update.

I solved all problems launching those commands (after a DB backup, of course

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\CoreDbUtil.exe" /xml=provisioning.xml /buildcomponents

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\alertname2table.exe" -c -d "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\alertstrings"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\swdCoreCustomAction.exe"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\alertruleset2table.exe" "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\alertrulesets"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\CreateClientConfiguration.exe"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_createstartnet.exe"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ENUActionsAndSections.xml"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ENUInitialGroups.xml" -u 1

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_Loaddb.exe" -f "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\PublicVariables.xml"

"C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\prov_InstallPlugin.exe" -a

More informations here: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3202

HTH,

Jary Busato