5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2016 5:08 PM by dmshimself

Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item

jasoncadman Expert

Dear All

Has anyone successfully created a reminder feature for the configuration item object?

I'm trying to get an action on the CI (well actually the Service object) that will allow me to send a reminder as part of a scheduled bulk action

It looks like there are 3 objects involved here that are linked

1) The Reminder object - linked to the module main object (CI in my case) - created as a collection - completed

2) The Reminder Recipient object - linked to the Reminder object as a collection - completed

3) Recipient object (in the System module)

I have created the my CI Reminder object, the CI Reminder Recipient but I'm struggling a bit with the Recipient object that it looks like it's linked through the System module. I think that this could be key to the functionality of the Reminder object.

It has a strange Relationship Type of ObjectReference when I look at the Reminder Recipient in Incident

and it also seems to link to itself on the Recipient object

and when I put it on a window to have a look it looks like this

I guess that my other option is to reuse one of the already existing objects in a module that does run reminders OOB, that way I can link my CI object to the Reminder object in Call Management.

• 1. Re: Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item
          jasoncadman Expert

I've tried this and although a row is entered into my newly created reminder object, nothing happens in the message recipient table. That's where I'd expect to see the message created ready for sending

I've tried linking my CI object to the Reminder object in Incident, Change and Call to see if I can get a message to appear in the message recipient table but none of the actions that i create for the collection items will save. I get the error.

"Null value set for attribute Incident of class type IncidentManagement.Reminder. This attribute is mandatory and must contain a non-null value"

I'm guessing that the incident number needs to be populated on the reminder object when the Add Reminder action is saved but that's not really relevant in this scenario as I'm adding a Reminder to a CI (service)

• 2. Re: Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item
            jasoncadman Expert

I guess there are other options as well such as:

1) Cloning a module (Request or Change) and create a new process that can update my CIs

2) Add another process to change that will manage the Service lifecycle

3) Buy Asset Lifecycle manager or Asset Central  - I think that I'm straying into another product here too but an additional license fee to make something work as a process seems a bit extravagant

Thanks for any advice in advance

• 3. Re: Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

With current releases you can associated a process with a CI, even with LDSD.  That should (in theory) allow you to do this.

• 4. Re: Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item
                jasoncadman Expert

Thanks Dave

I was trying not to create a whole process for it but it looks like there might be an opportunity here to go some way down the Service Portfolio process route. That will give me the base for further improvements whilst getting the features that I need

Thanks again

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Create a Reminder Object in Configuration Item
                  dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

It could be a really simple process Jason :-)  Putting processes behind asset creation/update was a big step for LD and for a lot of people they will not need full blow Asset Central to give some big benefits.

1 of 1 people found this helpful