3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2008 4:59 AM by phoffmann

Best Known Methods on LANDesk Site

Rookie

Sorry if this my message is offtopic, but seems this sub-community is most acceptable place.

There is two place with BKM documents - community (http://community.landesk.com/support/tags/bkm?contentTypes=DOCUMENT) and special link in "Support & Downloads"  (http://landesk.avocent.com/Support/BKMs/Index.aspx) but  they are not synchronized. As I can see now in  "Support & Downloads" there is only BKM fo 8.7 version, but in Community - as quite old (for 8.61) documents and newest one's. So what is the best place to look for BKM?

With regards

Alexander

• 1. Re: Best Known Methods on LANDesk Site
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Community, in short.

When we migrated the knowledge over to the community, it was a conscious decision to include down to 8.6 content (and in some cases older), as long as the content was still relevant.

For instance, a document (well - crash-guide, as opposed to a proper white paper) I've written around the 8.1 time-frame for getting registry-values via the LDAPPL3 into inventory is still perfectly valid - even in 8.8. So old documents don't necessarily mean that they're no longer relevant.

What exactly are you after? If you're in doubt something is still current, let us know what you're after and we can let you know whether this is indeed the case or not.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best Known Methods on LANDesk Site
            Rookie

Thank you Paul, for you reply.

My main concern how to define the possible comlete and current (not outdated) set of BKM (for distribution/recomendation to our LD administrators/users for learnig, for examle) For rev. 8.7 I knew that there is archive with such type of set but now it is necessary to look for BKM individually what is new, where is it and  so on.

With regards

Alexander

• 3. Re: Best Known Methods on LANDesk Site
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - software distribution "as a whole" didn't really change that much in the last few years.

There's details - like the addition of VB-scripts, but the main things are always valid. Which is -- HTTP shares cause far fewer headaches on account of lack of authentication, but CAN cause security issues because of the same.

Peer-download should be used.

If you've got massive packages consisting of 1000's of files, it makes sense to repackage them into fewer files.

... and so on. These things are true, whether you use 8.5, 8.6, 8.6.1, 8.7 or 8.8 -- BKM's are mostly about PROCESS, as opposed to "detailed clicking instructions in LANDesk".

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead