4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2016 11:21 AM by dgoniea

Uninstalling Office 2010

Apprentice

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a package to remove Office 2010 and I just cant seem to get it right.

As many of you know, you can't just use the msi uninstall string on Office 2010. The job will run "successfully," but in the end nothing will change. There is also a Microsoft FixIt 50450 that does the job, but I can't seem to get that to run via command line.

Lastly, there was a VB script posted to the community in 2013, linked below, that will do the job if I run it standalone, but I can't seem to get it to run properly via LDMS. I created a package using the script with the switches "ALL /Q /B 1 /K /N /S" under the install options and I get the error "Unknown status code (0x701.0:1793)" as the result in the job.

Any advice? Any logs I can check?

Thanks guys.

Easy uninstall of Office 2010 products via LANDesk sdclient

• 1. Re: Uninstalling Office 2010
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Couple of things to help you along:

- How to enable debug-logging for more info in your logs (might be handy) => How to enable Xtrace Diagnostic Logging

- How to troubleshoot Software Distribution

While the debug-log CAN be useful, enabling it all the way does make the logs a bit chatty (as you'd expect). You'd probably have the easiest time reading them "from the bottom up" as usually you care about "stuff that failed", as opposed to 100-s of mini operations that succeeded.

The logs you will want to check will probably be in (on the client running the task(s)):

- C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\

{The Software distribution logs haven't yet been migrated over into the otherwise normal location - "C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\Log\"}

... and will be named something like "sdclient_task###.log" where ### is the TASK IDN / numerical TASK ID (you can see that one in the console as well).

If you run a task multiple times, it'll append to "that particular IDN-s log file".

Let's start with that?

<Common "gotcha" with Office I tend to find is that you have to crowbar it / tell it where the "install medium" can be found, even if it's an uninstall. That's a registry key some place (I can go digging through stuff if you don't know what I'm talking about) ... that's usually what trips those up in my experience, as the relevant server / location no longer has the install files. Why Office "requires" access to those for an uninstall is beyond me, but oh well >

Hope that helps a bit! (and don't get intimidated by the logs )

• 2. Re: Uninstalling Office 2010
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Oh and - if you're running it as a batch, this thing is ALWAYS worth having (if you're remotely often working with BAT-stuff):

- About Batch File Distribution Packages

<Mainly unrelated, but an awesome thing to have!>

• 3. Re: Uninstalling Office 2010
              Apprentice

Attached is a script you can use, you need to run it using a bat file so you can run it Silently, ive attached that Bat file as well

• 4. Re: Uninstalling Office 2010
                Apprentice

Hey! Thanks for the BAT file. I had one that was similar but it bombed out for some reason.