3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 9:57 AM by phoffmann

LDMAIN / LDLOGON Share Security Settings

shawnward Rookie

We have been dealing with some issues over the past couple of months with LANDesk Management Suite. It started with not being able to see drivers in WinPE when you try to inject drivers, as well as not being able to inject drivers. Then shortly after that we noticed that we had lost the ability to build the HII driver library. The error HII gave us was "Access to path '\\OurServer\ldmain\landesk\files\drivers\TestWriteHIILocDATA.txt' is denied.". This is what tipped us off to a permissions issue. We looked for any documentation to help us determine the correct security settings. We didn't find anything helpful.

At a loss for what to do after working with LANDesk support, we started building another core server. After getting it initially installed we decided to compare permissions on the new server and the non-functional server. Tada! That was the problem. The security settings were different. We matched the new server settings to the broken one. Now everything is working again.

This post is purely to list what those settings are so that no one else need spend 6 weeks trying to solve this same issue.

LDMAIN:

IUSR - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read

SYSTEM - Full Control

NETWORK SERVICE - Full Control

LANDesk Management Suite - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read

LANDesk Administrators - Full Control

BUILTIN - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read

Administrators - Full Control

ldmain.png

LDLOGON:

IUSR - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read

SYSTEM - Full Control

NETWORK SERVICE - Full Control

LANDesk Management Suite - Read & Execute, List folder contents, Read

LANDesk Administrators - Full Control

Administrators  - Full Control

ldlogon.png

• 2. Re: LDMAIN / LDLOGON Share Security Settings
          SGolden_00 Rookie

I ran into a similar issue and was seeing the same error messages.  however, security settings were all correct as shown above.

In my case, I found that the solution was that Advanced Sharing had not been set up correctly for the folders.

To resolve:

1) Right-click ldmain folder / go to Properties.

2) Click the Sharing tab at the top.

3) Click Advanced Sharing.

4) Make sure Share this folder is checked.  Then click the Permissions button.

5) Make sure that the correct accounts are able to at least "read" that folder.

This resolved my issue quickly.  Hopefully this helps you if you find yourself in the same boat after a server move or some other error introduced by accident!

• 3. Re: LDMAIN / LDLOGON Share Security Settings
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Occasionally ran into issues like this while doing support (talking to the tune of 1 sighting of those every 2 years odd) - we used to keep track of permissions in the occasional doc for "weird as heck" problems that sometimes ended up being the result of borked permissions ... would be quite curious as to what causes them. It's not related to upgrades (which is what you'd think would be the most likely thing to fiddle with permissions), and sees to just "get broken" from one day to the next.

One of my pet peeves for not having a better response than "it seems to just happen" so far .