My company just implemented LANDesk 8.8 and I have an idea regarding Policy Supported Push, but I would like some input as if I am doing this the correct way before I put this in our test environment.
Because of our company structure, machines receive certain applications based on the user's department so our Active Directory structure is organized in such a way that user machines are placed into specific OUs (Computers>Accounting>Desktop>WinXP would be an example of our OU structure). I'm basically looking for a way to automate our new machine build process as much as possible. I would like to set up a scheduled task per OU and just leave it be unless a new application is added to the department's standard applications. When new machines are added to an OU, I would like LANDesk to perform the query of the OU, recognize that a new machine was added to the OU and then install all the required applications.
Now, here's what I was thinking of doing:
- Create a query to perform an LDAP lookup of the OU.
- Create all necessary distribution packages with file checks to ensure applications aren't installed multiple times.
- Create a scheduled task using PSP so that all machines in that OU will receive all the required applications eventually.
This brings me to my questions:
- Am I using PSP the right way?
- Will new machines placed in the OU receive the applications without performing any action in the Management Console?
- Do I need to set the task to repeat in order for new machines in the OU to be recognized?
- Am I on the right track at all or am I wasting my time trying to do this?
Thanks in advance for any help.