4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2016 12:20 PM by LANDave

Portal Manager ShortCut to a folder

carlos Expert

LDMS 9.6 SP2

Hello, this should be pretty simple but can't make it work.

How can I place a shortcut in the portal manager that opens a folder location in the client? (The Software Distribution Folder)

I need the user to actually see the folder and then MANUALLY select what installer they want.

Any help is appreciated.

-CS

• 1. Re: Portal Manager ShortCut to a folder
          wcoffey SupportEmployee

carlos. There's no out of the box method for adding a "folder" to portal manger. Why not just use the portal as designed and make the applications available to the user inside the portal for them to install? You can easily write a script to open a folder that allows them to "choose applications" if you don't want to use Portal Manager.

• 2. Re: Portal Manager ShortCut to a folder
            carlos Expert

Hello,

1. I wanted to add an extra level of security (and consciousness) to the decision to install something. We have VERY critical applications, and if a user installs an update by mistake it could break the system.

2. I tried creating a script, a .bat but haven't been able to get it to work,

this is how I created the task for the .bat

a) Created a task to precache the file (this works just fine)

portal1.PNG

porta2.PNG

b) create a second task to list it in the portal, same as above but changing the Portal options to Optional anc check "...keep in portal"

This lists the task in the portal, but when i launch it:

1. It seems to re-download the .bat

2. The action fails

this is what I have in the .bat

@echo off

start %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\SoftwareDistribution\testfolder"

If I run this manually it opens the folder just fine.

Any ideas are appreciated.

(Side Note: Is there a way to precache (download) the file and place it on the Portal in one step?)

• 3. Re: Portal Manager ShortCut to a folder
              wcoffey SupportEmployee

carlos. Add this to your batch file so LANDESK can attain the error level of the batch file:

@echo off

start %SystemRoot%\explorer.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\SoftwareDistribution\testfolder"

echo error level: %errorlevel%

exit /b %errorlevel%

The output will be displayed in the sdclient_task#.log file (ldclient\data).

If this is successfully executing manually (keep in mind you are executing under the logged on user's account), try adjusting the account in the distribution package.

(Side Note: Is there a way to precache (download) the file and place it on the Portal in one step?)

Answer: No - pre-cache places the file in the download location (sdmcache by default).

-Will

• 4. Re: Portal Manager ShortCut to a folder
                LANDave SupportEmployee

Carlos,

Were you able to get this further information or get progress on your issue?

If so, please update the thread.