14 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2016 10:00 AM by Squonkie

Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book

Squonkie Apprentice

I am having an issue with HII on my new 2016 box. It will not install the display driver on a Surface 4 Surface Book or Lenovo x1 Tablet. No matter how I assign the driver it still pics up the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. HII in preview mode does not even see the display adapter. Anyone have success in getting the drivers on these devices smoothly. Knowing me im probably missing something obvious!!

• 1. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
          jaysmith SupportEmployee

If HII in preview mode won't see the adapter, then HII won't be able to install it.  I've seen this happen from time to time, specifically with USB3.0 devices which have their own bus off the main PCI bus. 

Have you tried adding a second pass of HII to the System Configuration section in your template?  YOu'll likely have better luck detecting the display driver when HII is running in the final OS instead of WinPE.

Second, you can inject the display driver into your boot.wim - this may allow the driver to actually install in WinPE making it easier to detect.

Third - If you've already ran HII in preview mode, just select a device that was detected and assign your display driver to that device.  HII doesn't care if the device and the driver actually match up.  As long as the device is detected, HII will copy over the driver you've assigned to it and DISM will attempt to install it.

• 2. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
            Squonkie Apprentice

Hi Jay

thanks for the tip. I have tried injecting the driver into the wim with no luck. The main issue is on the Customize software Screen. It comes up ok but I cannot select anything.

• 3. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
              jaysmith SupportEmployee

I'm not aware of a Customize Software screen in relation to HII, can you give a little more detail, or perhaps a screenshot?

• 4. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                Squonkie Apprentice

Sorry Jay I am being a bit dumb. There are two issues. The first issue with the surface is that the screen resolution on the image selection page is way too high. the boxes are way to small to select anything. We can just about enter in a name in the device prompter. However on the customise software screen I have just after I cannot select anything

I then have another couple of passes in the system configuration section of the template. but the machine never installs the video drivers or numerous other drivers. I have tried a conditional entry in the template which does not worksurface 1.PNG

although if I create a separate provisioning template with just the conditional sections in it and apply it to a finished machine that has missing drivers it works fine

surface 2.PNG

the surface pro drivers package is pointing to the MSI driver package that MS provides.

I cannot get the above to work as part of a main provisioning template only as a standalone applied after

I am probably being very dumb here

• 5. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                  jaysmith SupportEmployee

The issue with screen resolution is a tricky one, I'd have to look into that a bit.  However regarding the conditional statement, I think you're bumping into somewhat of a known issue.  When we start a provisioning template, we parse all the variables and store them at the start of the template.  So when the template first starts, the data you are comparing during your conditional statement needs to already be present in Inventory for that device.  We only perform a mini scan during provisioning so the device model may not yet be available.  This is something that will be probably changing in our upcoming SP for 2016.

Does it work at all if you don't include the conditional?

• 6. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                    Squonkie Apprentice

Ahh that makes sense now. I must say I have been tearing whats left of my hair out over this.

If I just use the standard template with HII steps in Post OS and System configuration then it does not work at all. I still get a lot of missing drivers including the video card. I will create a new simpler template and will add another HII after a reboot to see if it helps

• 7. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                      jaysmith SupportEmployee

You can also run hii in preview mode once the device has booted to it's OS, to see what devices we detect.  If HII is still not detecting the devices we won't be able to match them up. 

Just to clarify, you said you are using a distribution package to run the driver .msi for the surface - Do you have that selected in HII or are you using a "deploy software" action in your template?

• 8. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                        Squonkie Apprentice

I tried both assigning a package in HII (Which did not work) and as a normal deploy software step in a conditional step

I have tried running HII in oreview mode but im not 100% sure what I am looking at in the report

• 9. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                          jaysmith SupportEmployee

HII preview mode just generates a log file showing all detected devices and what the primary and secondary device ID's were.  If you run HII Preview and don't see your nic in the list, then HII isn't seeing it for some reason and won't be able to install the driver for it. 

If you're using a distribution package with HII, it's not going to be able to run while in WinPE, it will have to run in the System Configuration pass.  It also requires that the agent be already installed, so make sure you're running the agent deployment step before HII. 

If you need to install the driver package during the winpe phase, you'll have to extract the drivers from the install package or download them separately and add them to HII. 

• 10. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                            Squonkie Apprentice

I imaged a surface today with a couple of HII steps with a reboot in between in the System Configuration section. The second pass picked up most of the drivers but not the video card. Would it be worth creating a package just for the video card?

• 11. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                              jaysmith SupportEmployee

It could be that HII did detect the device and pass over a driver, but it may not be the correct driver.  Or it could be that HII did not detect the device at all.

If you take a look at the hiiclient.log you can see which case it is.  It should be in c:\windows\temp or c:\ldprovisioning on the target device.

Regarding your display sizing issue, I've looked into that a bit and it's not something that can likely be fixed.  It's due to the nature of the surface book's resolution and pixel density.  Adjusting the GUI display options for winpe so that it fits the surface would make it much too large for standard devices that don't have 3000x2000 resolution.

• 12. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                                Squonkie Apprentice

Jay

I have been booting the Surfaces off the USB boot media created from the core. If I create a bare metal server and pxe boot normally the resolution is fine. This concerns me slightly. What the disadvantages of using the USB boot media? Will it have a knock on with regards to drivers later on?

• 13. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                                  jaysmith SupportEmployee

That's very interesting, there should be no real functional difference between usb boot media and pxe booting.  How long ago did you create the boot media?

When we create boot media we use the boot.wim file from the core server, which should be the same boot.wim used when you install your PXE rep that devices boot to.  It's possible the boot.wim on your PXE rep is different from the one on your USB boot media.  Actually since you are booting UEFI devices it would be the boot_x64.wim.

Regarding drivers later on, the USB boot media is only used to copy over the wim image and boot the devices to managed winPE.  Once in WinPE it connects to the core and downloads additional files.  HII files are part of this.  So they're downloaded from the core and not stored in the boot.wim.

I'd like to add, while I am happy to continue working with you in the Community, due to the more complex nature of the issues you are facing you may get a quicker resolution if you log a support case.  Our support team can run through a template with you and likely resolve these issues while on the phone, instead of the back and forth nature of the forum posts.  Either way, we are happy to help anyway we can.

• 14. Re: Issues With HII on Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book
                                    Squonkie Apprentice

Hi

The key was created a while ago but I copy the boot.wim files over whenever I add drivers to them. They are the same files on the key and the server