1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 8:43 AM by jgira

Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"

Apprentice

Since upgrading to 8.8 we have occasionally seen this error.  Since upgrading to 8.8 SP1, we have seen this error every day sometimes twice a day.  Any ideas?

Event Type:          Error

Event Source:          .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting

Event Category:          None

Event ID:               1000

Date:               16/09/2008

Time:               9:29:32 am

Description:          Faulting application ldinv32.exe, version 8.80.1.4, stamp 4836c6c4, faulting module msado15.dll, version 2.82.3959.0, stamp 45d70aa7, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000142b.

• 1. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
          Apprentice

PS  It always relates to the msado15.dll library which is part of the MDAC i believe?

• 2. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - a quick google answers that question - see here -- http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/dlllibrary/msado15/

So yeah - it's MDAC.

Now this COULD mean that MDAC itself is barfing up an error, or - what's also possible - is there's "some error" (i.e. - column/row too short for the value we're trying to insert) that comes through MDAC. Are there errors from the Inventory service around the same time-stamps?

Not heard of this myself yet though - also a bit curious why on earth .NET (of all things) is reporting this ... Inventory shouldn't (to the best of my knowledge) have anything to do with .NET...

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
              Apprentice

The only events that the Inventory service is logging are 2391 "out of sync" errors nothing else in app. or system log.

• 4. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                Jed SupportEmployee

Try this:

One
                ====
                Regsvr32.exe "C:\Program Files\Common Files\system\ado\Msado15.dll"

Two
                ====
                1) Open a command prompt on the core server
                2) Change directory to the location of your ManagementSuite folder: ...\LANDesk\ManagementSuite
                3) Run the following command: LDInv32.exe /remove
                4) Check the services to verify that LANDesk Inventory Server Service has been removed (can take a few minutes)
                5) Run the following command: LDInv32.exe /install
                6) Check to make sure the LANDesk Inventory Server Service has returned
                7) Start the LANDesk Inventory Server Service

Three
                ====
                1) Open a command prompt
                2) Change directory to ...\LANDesk\ManagementSuite
                3) Run the command: regsvr32 ldcache.dll
                4) Restart the LANDesk Inventory Server Service

--Jed

• 5. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                  Apprentice

Thanks ponderosa, ermmm, seems quite drastic to me though!!   Is the removal/install of the inventory service/ldcache.dll documented anywhere?

Paul, can you concur?  Would you recommend this course of action?

Yours paranoidally....

• 6. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                    Jed SupportEmployee

Paranoid is good, but removing and reinstalling the service is something that is done on occasion.  Your mileage by vary but it seems to be the way things go sometimes.  Paul may have another way.

--Jed

• 7. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"

It's not documented in anything we make available -- there's "certain bits of rope" we hold out on giving to people, as they have potential for causing a lot of damage if used carelessly.

I tend to describe it as "trying to do brain surgery with a pipe wrench" (wherever I borrowed that from, it's remained quite memorable ).

Re-installing the Inventory service MAY help, but I'm hesitant to believe it will ... since it's nothing with Inventory (per se) that's throwing the error. I'd suggest trawling the net on how to forcibly repair MDAC (I seem to recall that isn't an easy feat, regretably) and begin with that. My suspicion in this regard is primarily based on no inventory-related errors (out than a few "normal" out of synch errors) around the same time. Certainly the reommendation Jed gave are a good start - and beginning with MDAC is the right thing I think.

Certainly I would recommend to make sure you've got a healthy backup of the Core before going at this (this is one of these occasions where if you DON'T have a back (or haven't verified that it's any good) something IS likely to go wrong - MSIEXEC will explode in your face or something fun like that. Murphy's Law and all that) .

I'd certainly start with MDAC ... Re-installing Inventory shouldn't do any harm, but I don't see how it'd fix this ... my instinct at least would point to MDAC. Wouldn't be the first time that I'm wrong of course, but this doesn't feel like an inventory-problem (if you did, I'd expect a lot more errors of the Inventory-kind down the line as well).

But that's my 2p :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 8. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                        mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Before I installedLD8.8 Sp1 last week my TAM sent me a list of post SP1 Hotfixes, one was:

INV-1235788.1-2
                        Inventory Service Stops with .NET Runtime 2.0 Error - Faulting application ldinv32.exe
                        LDMS 8.8

Not sure if this will fix the issue or not.  When I installed it my inventory service kept stopping so I had to back it out.

James

• 9. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                          technobabble Apprentice

It is possible that your application web pools are running out of TCP connections. Look in Task Manager for w2wp.exe processes on your core. if you have one that is much bigger than the others, you may be running out of TCP connections. If so, you can create more application pools to get around this problem. I had to do this for a customer and that took care of the problem.

• 10. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                            Apprentice
                            Technobabble wrote:

It is possible that your application web pools are running out of TCP connections. Look in Task Manager for w2wp.exe processes on your core. if you have one that is much bigger than the others, you may be running out of TCP connections. If so, you can create more application pools to get around this problem. I had to do this for a customer and that took care of the problem.

I think this is unlikely:

We recently increased the max port number (MaxUserPort) up to 16000 (the default max is 5000) and also decreased the TimedWaitDelay to 120 seconds to recycle the ports quicker (the default is a whopping 4 minutes!!).

This showed a significant improvement in the rate that the core could insert data into the DB at peak times, so i think we had tcpip congestion at that point, but not now.

We also already have 5 applications pools using 9 threads.

• 11. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                              Apprentice

We have now upgraded to service pack 2 and are still experiencing this problem, always at peak times (it crashed twice this morning).

Paul, have you any further info on this - are you still sure that the inventory service has not involvement with .NET?  Interestingly, the msado15.dll file that is always referenced in the errors exists in this location (fairly standard) C:\prog files\common files\system\ado but also in \prog files\landesk\management suite - but the two are different versions (the one in the LD folder is older).

Can you clarify what exactly it is used for so we can have a better understanding of what we can do to fix it.  Would simply overwriting it (following a backup) with the newer version be beneficial?  Is the library used for other LD components that might not like with the later version?

James Marriott's post is also interesting regarding INV-1235788.1-2 as this seems to be the exact problem but i cannot find any details of it on the community site.  Can you confirm that this fix was in SP2 (james says its a post sp1 fix)?

Thanks again.

• 12. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"

Mike,

A couple of things.

1 - INV-1235788.1-2 contained the following files:

Core:

LDCACHE.DLL - Version: 8.80.1.3

LDISCN32.EXE - Version: 8.80.1.23 (This is a file for the client - it's the inventory scanner)

8.8 SP2 has:

LDISCN32.EXE - Version 8.80.2.15 (so yes, it's included) and has it been confirmed by our testing group that SP2 resolved this.

2 - I've learned a few interesting things about issues we've identified with the Inventory Service that could explain what's going on here. I'm monitoring closely a few inventory-CR's as a result, and once those are available will get them to you (It'll be a new Inventory Service). The dev work on those patches is getting along quite well (not quite complete yet), but you're someone I've kept in mind for these, as I think those patches may address a few issues we've seen in your environment.

More on this as we get the patches done & I'll contact you separately once I get my grubby hands on 'em :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 13. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                                  Apprentice

Excellent, thanks for this Paul, look forward to the shiny new updates....

• 14. Re: Inventory Service crashing - ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting"
                                    Rookie

We are running LANDesk 8.8 with Service Pack 2 and getting this same error normally once a day. It hangs the service and stops processing scans. Other than a .net error i dont get anything in the event logs. Has anyone made any progress on this with a solution.

Paul Skipper

1 2 Previous Next