4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 7:08 AM by LANDave

Sophos Safeguard Encrypation Installation from Landesk

praveen.vishwakarma Apprentice

Hi,

Does any one have installed Sophos Safeguard Encryption tool using Landesk. I am trying to do this using batch distribution but the issue I am facing is it requires a reboot in between installation when doing manually. But when I am doing it through Landesk it fails when it comes to reboot the machine and continue the installation.

Seeking help from anyone on this if we can do a machine reboot and after that continue the installation.

Thanks,

Praveen Vishwakarma

• 1. Re: Sophos Safeguard Encrypation Installation from Landesk
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Rather than doing a batch-based install (since batch can be - let's face it - 'a bit special' at times) ... have you considered doing it as a provisioning job?

Provisioning is perfect for things that need to run sequentially & go through reboots. Yes, it's "named" for deploying OS'es, but folks have been using to distribute complicated packages for as long as it's existed .

That way you can do individual install steps / call individual scripts / batches as needed, do your reboot, and then continue post the reboot?

• 2. Re: Sophos Safeguard Encrypation Installation from Landesk
            praveen.vishwakarma Apprentice

That was the second resort we thought of but the issue was like we need user to have deferral options available. Which was not there for provisioning job..

• 3. Re: Sophos Safeguard Encrypation Installation from Landesk
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can make provisioning jobs now be regular policies (assuming you're on LD 2016 ?) -- so you can just send a message out to your users - "here's the icon I want you to click in the portal when you're OK with the machine rebooting / needing 30 minutes to install the new AV" - or something to that effect.

Comms is half the battle (won) .

Wouldn't that sort your problem out ...? (Unless you're not on 2016 of course).

[EDIT]

Holding my horses on this one ... need to confirm this (might have been dreaming things up). Pretty sure we can do provisioning tasks through the portal now, will try to confirm later in the day when I get some time today to play with this.

[EDIT 2:]

Yep - it's all good. You *CAN* make provisioning packages appear as regular packages ... we've introduced that in early 9.6 in fact:

- What's new in Provisioning in LDMS 9.6 Service Pack 1

... so if you're on 2016, the provisioning package is hiding as a "Universal Package".

... so you can treat it as a regular package there (rather than straight-up scheduling the provisioning template).

So - that should sort you out .

• 4. Re: Sophos Safeguard Encrypation Installation from Landesk
                LANDave SupportEmployee

Praveen,

Did Phoffman manage to get you a satisfactory answer here?  If so, please mark his answer as correct.

If you are still needing further assistance please let us know that as well.

Thanks!