1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 6:32 AM by phoffmann

How is it possible to read BIOS-Details in the Inventory? (LDMS 9.6 SP3)

FrankMorgner Apprentice

How is it possible to read out the adjustment of the WakeOnLAN-Feature in BIOS?

Alltime I thought, there is no possibility, but last time I found much informations about BIOS-Features in the Inventory of som computers.

But the crazy thing is, that I can't found out how it works.

Only 50 of 1200 computers show these information, and there are different devices between 8 years old an really new ones.

Has anyone a tipp or an idea for me

Best wishes

Frank

• 1. Re: How is it possible to read BIOS-Details in the Inventory? (LDMS 9.6 SP3)
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

"It depends" ... by and large.

• So - the first question is going to be - how diverse a hardware / BIOS base are we talking here? If it's a "small handful of models" - you should be in much better shape than a "200 different models - all different motherboards / BIOS'es" scenario.

• The second question is - "where do you get this information from". You *MIGHT* be able to find it in WMI ... in which case, as long as you're on 9.6 or newer, this is really easy to add as custom data. However, WMI comes with its own headaches (more on that later).

• If WMI is "no go", then you'll likely need to access DMI (if you've got older hardware) ... or something similar (I am not sure if DMI is still a thing on UEFI devices).

• I'm attaching a (VERY) old document about how to add BIOS  strings ... not sure if it still works (you've not listed what version you're on), but it may be helpful to you - especially if you're dealing with really old hardware where DMI is your only way.
          • However, you'll need to figure out those string locations probably for every hardware model individually. BIOS'es are *NOT* consistent across vendors & what few standards exist are rarely adhered to .

So - what do you need to do?

• Get a list of the hardware manufacturers / models you're trying to get this data on. That way you can check them off (note - potentially, different BIOS versions may throw spanners in the works for you as well, just as a friendly heads-up).
          • Be mindful that "just because you have 100 devices from Hardware vendor X and they're all model Y" doesn't make them identical. Any OEM tends to switch around stuff (from the NIC's for the LOM's to huge parts of the chipset) ... so YMMV does apply here as well!
          • Talk to your hardware provider(-s) ... ask them whether / how to pull that information from the BIOS (they may have query tools you can run in the OS. UEFI especially "should" be accessible through the OS). You may find that there's going to be a lot of "model X is fine, model Y we can't help you with because reasons" ...

• ... depending on how old your hardware is & what OS'es you're running, you'll then have a better idea as to what you CAN attack & how to do so.

I've not tried getting this sort of stuff on UEFI boxes, so I've no idea how much of a pain that'll be (hopefully - it'll be quite simple).

Now ... couple of additional common gotchas & such relating to WMI:

• Do *NOT* expect WMI paths to be consistent / identical across OS'es. If "information X" was held in one location on Windows XP, it in NO way guarantees that that information is in the same path/location on Windows 7 or Windows 10.
          • 32-bit and 64-bit OS'es may well have VERY different WMI data paths for the same information. Then again, it may be identical. This stuff is NOT consistent and a lot of it is at the mercy of the coder & Microsoft.

• As best as I recall, we barely do / access DMI at all these days. I've not tried those steps in the attached PDF in years, but at least it's a starting point for you.