4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2017 12:17 AM by Julian Wigman

Reinstalling LDMS 2016

jonesd4 Rookie

Uninstalled 2016 and started a new install. The install fails when it gets to Copying Mobility files. Following is what the log looks like:

2016-10-12 10:42:35 INFO: Executing: D:\LANDESKSoftware2016\Resources\LANDesk.Common.RunMethod.exe assemblyFile="LANDesk.Install.Common.Actions.dll" class="SystemActions" Method="DirectoryCopy" commandLine="D:\LANDESKSoftware2016\LD\Mobility\Core\LDMain;C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite;true"  (Launcher.ExecuteXmlCommand())

2016-10-12 10:42:36 ERROR: Execution of AtlasCopyFiles completed. Return code: 1, State: Failure  (SetupController.ExecuteNextCommand

Setup will not continue past this point. Any ideas where I need to go from here?

• 1. Re: Reinstalling LDMS 2016
          jonesd4 Rookie

Managed to get LDMS uninstalled. Now when I launch Setup.Exe, I get this:

Setup has stopped working

Check online or Close the program...

• 2. Re: Reinstalling LDMS 2016
            Rookie

Ide be interested to hear how you managed to remove LANDesk as I'm in a similar situation.

• 3. Re: Reinstalling LDMS 2016
              DHeckle Rookie

Removing LANDesk can be a bit tricky.  Most of this is me removing the "Remote Console"  I'm sure there is quite a bit more to be done if uninstalling LANDesk from a server.

Uninstalling from Add/Remove doesn't seem to want to work.  It ends up just trying to continue with the installation.

What I've found best works.

Delete the following folders in this order.

C:\ProgramData\LANDesk

C:\Program Files\LANDesk

Then run the setup.exe in the following location

C:\LANDeskSoftware**** where "***" is your version.

It will act like it wants to install since a previous installation didn't run properly.  Accept and try to uninstall but nothing happens.

I then delete the folder in the Root of C: which was "C:\LANDESKSoftware2016" for me.

I then went into Add/Remove and selected LANDesk and the uninstall which then removed the software from the list.

To cover all the bases I then went into the registry and looked for any Management suite registry entries.  I was uninstalling the console at this point.  So I did have an agent running on the computer and didn't want to remove the agent.  However removing the agent while doing this may be a good idea.

Agent can be uninstalled using: UninstallWinClient.exe which is found on the LANDesk Management suite server.

I found HKLM: Software\LANDesk which has nothing to do with the agent so I removed it.

I was still unable to install and LANDESK Management Suite still said "Setup has detected a current installation of LANDesk Management Suite on your computer....etc."

So I decided to start with a fresh OS.  No point on wasting to many hours when it will take less time just to start over from the beginning.

• 4. Re: Reinstalling LDMS 2016
                Julian Wigman Master

As this LDMS question is posted in the Service Desk forum I’ll chip in too as both LDMS/IEM and LDSD/ISD both share the same installer technology it can be infuriating when you get in this installer restart error loop.

I normally find you end up having to find and remove some keys from the registry such that the installer thinks it is a new installation and thus will reinstall afresh! I thus can install again and immediately do an uninstall to hopefully cleanly remove before installing the new version.  I don't know if LDMS is the same and even for Service Desk I struggle to remember but it is node under LANDESK called something like “Alghemy”.

I’ve also had some success with 3rd party tools such as Wise Force Deleter Portable edition in helping to clear up a failed installation.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd